Are there some languages which influence English today?

Uriel   Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:33 pm GMT
Oh, when I was in Paris, I had the BEST food! Absolutely divine. Bring on the goat cheese!
Kirk   Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:17 am GMT
Candy, can you write a text of 50 words without using Latin loans? :-) (that's a challenge)

I can, and have :) Here's a dialog I wrote a few months ago showing that much of daily speech by native English speakers involves relatively few non-Germanic words. This dialog's words are all either from Old English or other Germanic sources:

--"Hey, Mom, did you forget to put the milk out for the cat yesterday?"

--"Um...lemme think...oh yeah, oops...I was so busy all yesterday getting everything clean for the guests that I didn't even think about the cat. I hope he didn't get too hungry"

--"Well, it's alright--he was whining all last night so I kinda guessed he needed to eat, so I gave him his old cat food from the bag in the shed, since I think we're outta milk."

--"But how'd you get in without the key?...Or did you find it?"

--"Yeah, it was on top of the bookshelf in the living room."

--"Well that's good we got it back. And you didn't step on any of the rakes in the shed this time?"

--"No."
The Swede   Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:23 am GMT
Well, the disucssion you had and maybe have is much about the languages which have influenced English. It´s not so much about if there are languages which influence English today. Of course you can continue your discussion about which languages who have influenced English during the history but I am more interesed of which languages English today, right now.
Sander   Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:43 am GMT
Nice try Kirk,but that's more of a dialogue, not really a text right? :-)
Luke   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:17 am GMT
Can anyone please help me with my study of the influence of the USA on NZ English??? I am a Year 13 student who needs help!!!
Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:35 am GMT
Go do a Google search using "American influence" and "New Zealand English" -- I saw a whole buttload of articles pop up on the subject. If your teachers don't allow you to cite internet sources in your work, try checking the bibliographies at the end of the articles for "hard" evidence.

It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but here's one article that at least mentions a few:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~johnnewm/NZEnglish/Bayard.pdf
Frances   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:56 am GMT
I think often words that related to food and goods will pop up in the English langauge that have recently been discovered by Anglophones, eg Tamagotchi, Wasabe etc (just some Japanese examples)
Kirk   Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:07 am GMT
<<Nice try Kirk,but that's more of a dialogue, not really a text right? :-)>>

You asked to write a text. Dialogs are texts, too--they're not mutually exclusive. Plus, that's pretty close to everyday conversation, which is the true measure of a language's genetic affiliation.
mp   Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:08 pm GMT
isn't "surrender" of french origin?
Candy   Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:35 pm GMT
As I wrote:
<<Supposedly, only the last word of the speech (surrender) doesn't come from Old English. >>

It is of French origin (according to my dictionary, the Old French word was 'surrendre')
greg   Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:18 pm GMT
Candy : An <render> & <surrender> viennent de AF <rendre> & MF <surrendre>, respectivement, via MA <render> = Fr <répéter>, <réciter> & MA <surrender> = Fr <céder>, <abandonner>, respectivement.

Le vocabulaire anglais prend principalement sa source dans les langues suivantes :
grec classique
latin (classique, médiéval etc)
ancien français (capétien et d'outre-Manche)
moyen-français
français classique
français moderne.
L'habitude de recourir à ces langues pour construire de nouveaux mots est due à la présence d'une minorité francophone dominante dans les Îles britanniques pendant 350 ans à peu près. Les emprunts lexicaux au latin et au grec sont insignifiants avant 1066.
Les langues citées plus haut constituent les 2/3 du fonds lexical anglais. Pas loin de 80 % du fonds lexical germanique a disparu entre 1066 et 1453.

L'influence de l'ancien français d'outre-Manche (AFOM) est patente dans les mots suivants :
An <afraid> - AFOM <afrayé>
An <dispatcher> - AFOM <depescheur>
An <engineer> - AFOM <engigneor>
An <launch> - AFOM <launcher>
An <noise> - AFOM <nose>/<noise>
An <random> - AFOM <random>
An <screen> - AFOM <escran>/<escren>
An <wafer> - AFOM <wafre>/<waufre>
etc.

Quand on examine le volume annuel des emprunts lexicaux faits par l’anglais au français entre l’an mil et aujourd’hui, on relève sept périodes distinctes.

Première période : an mil – fin XIe. Pratiquement aucun emprunt.

Deuxième période : début XIIe – milieu XIVe. Croissance ultra-exponentielle du flux avec pic absolu vers 1350, jamais égalé depuis. La perte de la Normandie en 1204 (insularisation des francophones maternels) n’a eu strictement aucun impact modérateur sur cet emballement. On constate néanmoins une brève stabilisation de l’accélération entre 1250 et 1300 mais celle-ci est immédiatement suivie d’une explosion phénoménale entre 1300 et 1350.

Troisième période : milieu XIVe – début XVIIe. Décroissance initialement forte, adoucie puis enrayée avec creux relatif (40 % du pic absolu de 1350) vers 1625.

Quatrième période : début XVIIe – fin XVIIe. Augmentation de 50 %.

Cinquième période : début XVIIIe – milieu XVIIIe. Forte chute de de 80 % : creux absolu vers 1750, jamais égalé depuis.

Sixième période : milieu XVIIIe – milieu XXe. Forte croisssance de 150 %.

Septième période : milieu XXe – début XXIe. Doublement.

Au cours de la septième période, l’anglais a emprunté 500 mots au français, ce qui représente 50 % du volume total des emprunts de l’anglais (proportion identique à celle de la sixième période). L’espagnol vient en deuxième position avec 10 % du total de la septième période, puis l’italien avec moins de 10 % et enfin l’allemand avec 5 %.

Ces chiffres peuvent être discutés. Alors discutons !
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
Translation of the above post -

Candy: Year < render > & < surrender > AF < have just returned > & MF < surrendre >, respectively, via MA < render > = Fr < to repeat >, < to recite > & MA < surrender > = Fr < to yield >, < to give up >, respectively. The English vocabulary takes mainly its source in the following languages: Latin traditional Greek (traditional, medieval etc) former French (capétien and of on the other side of the channel) modern French traditional means-French French. The practice to resort to these languages to build new words is due to the presence of a dominant French-speaking minority in British Isles during 350 years about. The lexical loans with Latin and the Greek are unimportant before 1066. The languages referred to above constitute the 2/3 of the English funds lexical. Not far from 80 % of the funds lexical Germanic disappeared between 1066 and 1453. The influence of former French of on the other side of the channel (AFOM) is obvious in the following words: Year < afraid > - AFOM < afrayé > Year < dispatcher > - AFOM < depeschor > Year < engineer > - AFOM < engigneor > Year < launch > - AFOM < launcher > Year < noise > - AFOM < nose>/<noise > Year < random > - AFOM < random > Year < screen > - AFOM < escran>/<escren > Year < wafer > - AFOM < wafre>/<waufre > etc. When one examines the annual volume of the lexical loans made by English with French between the year millet and today, one raises seven distinct periods. First period: year millet - end XIe. Practically no loan. Second period: XIIe beginning - XIVe medium. Ultra-exponential growth of flow with absolute peak about 1350, ever equalized since. The loss of Normandy in 1204 (insularisation of the maternal French-speaking people) did not have strictly any moderating impact on this racing. One notes nevertheless a short stabilization of acceleration between 1250 and 1300 but this one is immediately followed of a phenomenal explosion between 1300 and 1350. Third period: XIVe medium - beginning XVIIe. Initially strong decrease, softened then stopped with relative hollow (40 % of the absolute peak of 1350) about 1625. Fourth period: beginning XVIIe - end XVIIe. Increase of 50 %. Fifth period: beginning XVIIIe - medium XVIIIe. Strong fall of 80 %: absolute hollow about 1750, ever equalized since. Sixth period: medium XVIIIe - medium XXe. Strong croisssance of 150 %. Seventh period: medium XXe - XXIe beginning. Doubly. During the seventh period, English borrowed 500 words from French, which represents 50 % of the total volume of the loans of English (proportion identical to that of the sixth period). Spanish comes in second position with 10 % from the total from the seventh period, then Italian with less than 10 % and finally German with 5 %. These figures can be discussed. Then let us discuss!
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:39 pm GMT
英国の次の時間に話しなさい。

あなたが常にフランス語を話す時知らないIt's 非 常に。英語だけ話されているために割り当てられる。
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:40 pm GMT
Let's see how Greg likes it for a change.

Here you are, Greg, read that!
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:41 pm GMT
it says -

"Speak English!

It's very ignorant when you always speak French. Only English is allowed to be spoken."