"Si" languages and "oil" languages

LAA   Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:54 am GMT
Various Romance languages are sometimes divided into categories based on the particular word for "yes".

The Gallo-Romance languages of the north of France are collectively referred to as "Langue d'oil" or "Langue d'oui", because of their word for "yes".

In contrast, Spanish and Italian are collectively called by this definition, "Si languages".

Yet further proof that Spanish is more closely related to Italian than French is.
fab   Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:56 am GMT
in french "si" can mean yes too.
Fag five   Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:23 am GMT
Si: (French)
adverb so, so much;

"-answer to negative question-": yes;

"si bien que" so that;

"si riche qu'il soit" however rich he may be.
Georgero   Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:32 am GMT
To LAA
To divide Romance languages by these criteria, means to exclude Romanian, because they use Slavic "da" for "yes".

I don't think "Oui" is Latin neither. So, how can you divide Romance languages by non-Latin criteria?
Xatufan   Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
Si < Latin "sic", like this.

Oc < Latin "hoc", this. ("Oc" is Occitan)

Oui < oïl < Latin "hoc ille" (this + that)

Da is Slavic.
Sigma   Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:10 pm GMT
in french "si" can mean yes too.

Ah yo pensaba que si en Francés era un adverbio y a la vez una preposición.

Une réponse si rapide = Una respuesta muy rápida.

Si votre message se réfère à un article publié sur le Web = Si su (vuestro) mensaje se refiere a un articulo publicado en la Web.
Latin Euro   Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 pm GMT
Sigma,

you have also the "si" in french which means yes.

Je ne peux pas aller à Lyon aujourd'hui!

"Mais oui tu peux" or "Mais si tu peux"

LAA,

You forgot the "OC" group.
LAA   Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:42 pm GMT
I did not forget the "oc" group, I just didn't mention it, because I was talking about the "oui" and "si" groups.
fab   Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
" you have also the "si" in french which means yes.
"Je ne peux pas aller à Lyon aujourd'hui!"
"Mais oui tu peux" or "Mais si tu peux" "

No, the only correct answer is "Mais si tu peux"
In this case "oui" is completly incorrect.
Latin Euro   Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:56 pm GMT
Laa,

"I did not forget the "oc" group, I just didn't mention it, because I was talking about the "oui" and "si" groups."

Yes, but your knowledge of french is limited, you did not know the french ahs also the "Si".

You said you were a 140 IQ??
LAA   Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:31 pm GMT
I did too know that the French say "si". I actually posted that myself in response to what Fab originally said. My post has since been deleted.

In French, "si" is used in response to a negative question. So yes, of course I knew that. And before you insult my intelligence, consider whether you knew as much as I do at the age of 16. I have a casual interest in linguistics, but it is not my forte. I am more into history and political economy, political science, etc.
fab   Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
" And before you insult my intelligence, consider whether you knew as much as I do at the age of 16. I have a casual interest in linguistics, but it is not my forte. I am more into history and political economy, political science, etc. "

You are 16, maybe it is time for you to go to travel in Europe or elsewhere and see the world with you own eyes and not only through the prism of history books and political publications.
Comme on dit en Français; les voyages forment la jeunesse...
LAA   Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
"Comme on dit en Français; les voyages forment la jeunesse..."

I was going to ask you to translate this for me, but i'm going to take a stab at it. "Like one says in French, the voyages foment the young"??

What I love about French is that in vocabulary, it is very similar to both English and Spanish, so that I can piece together, in written form at least, what a lot of French means.
Sigma.   Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
Comme on dit en Français; les voyages forment la jeunesse:

Como decimos en Francés; los viajes forman a la juventud
LAA   Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
Ahh. "form/forman" the youth. duh! my bad.