French surnames

LAA   Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
Did I ever say I was an expert of French????
viri amaoro   Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
Dear LAA, your surname to me doesn't look French at all (or Spanish). It looks iranian, as in "(...)today the Mayor of Shiraz, Muhamad Salah Teran visit the tyre factory, where production is expected to increase by 20.000 tyres a year(...)"

;-)
Guest   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 am GMT
"Many Hispanic people have the last name of Duran, and it is pronounced in the Spanish way. But, I've heard that it is actually a French surname "

Do you consider these "hispanics" to be less latin because of their Gallic ethnicity ?
Latin Euro   Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 am GMT
LAA,

"Did I ever say I was an expert of French????"

You know so many things...
LAA   Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
"Dear LAA, your surname to me doesn't look French at all (or Spanish). It looks iranian, as in "(...)today the Mayor of Shiraz, Muhamad Salah Teran visit the tyre factory, where production is expected to increase by 20.000 tyres a year(...)"

No, it is not Iranian. A lot of people look at me funny when I tell them what my name is, especially during political crisis with Iran, like now for instance. People used to discriminate against my family members all the time during the hostage crisis in Iran under President Carter's term.

The capital of Iran is "TEHRAN", with an "H". My name is "TERAN", with no "H".

Tehran is pronounced, (tay-rahn). My name is pronounced (terr-an), while in Spanish, the "t" makes an English "th" sound, as in "Taco".
viri amaoro   Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 am GMT
Please, you are mistaking me with an ignorant person! I KNOW that Tehran is the capital of Iran (actually my hobby is geography, after drawing). It just sounded iranian, perhaps associated by sound with the capital of that country, but ABSOLUTELY NOT confusing the spelling.
Latin Euro   Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 am GMT
LAA ,

I don't see why your name is colbert you have some french blood. A black guy who is called Mc Allister got his name from the master of his ancestors. I does not proove anything.