textbook

Hahoo   Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
when I went to return my book earlier today at the library, I said to da salesgirl: "Oh, I just wanna return my book." Then she asked: "is it a textbook?". I said: "yeah." Now, why did she asked if it was a "textbook"? Was she just being retarded, or "textbook" is a more of a specific way to describe skool books?
Hahoo   Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:18 pm GMT
bookstore*
more*
Lazar   Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:19 pm GMT
"Textbook" is a way of referring to school books.
Hahoo   Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:12 am GMT
thnx Lazar
Uriel   Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:13 am GMT
Not only is "textbook" a specific word to describe a school book, but the library may have particular rules for dealing with textbooks that don't apply to other kinds of books.
Hahoo   Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:52 am GMT
thnx Uriel, but I mistakenly said: "library" when I actually meant da bookstore
Uriel   Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:32 am GMT
I was wondering about that, since bookstore would have made more sense -- you don't usually return textbooks to a library.
Hahoo   Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:24 pm GMT
well, at the library where I go to skool, they do let us borrow textbooks for a couple days sometimes. and they'll charge you if you don't return da textbook on time..and that's what happened to me last time, when a friend of mine took my ID and borrowed a textbook from the frontdesk.. He didnt return it when he was supposed to, so I got charged $25.
Gjones2   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:33 am GMT
You sure he was a friend? :-)
Uriel   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:36 am GMT
Why "skool" and "da"?
SpaceFlight   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:40 am GMT
<<Why "skool" and "da"?>>

Good question.
emilyhuhui   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 am GMT
HI, i am a chinese girl and very glad to answer your questios.
textbook is the book specially used in schools.
the books that teachers use to teach their students.
in chinese it is : 教科书

if you have any other question, please don't hesitate to contact me,
emily@natural.com.cn

or to my website: www.goodchinese.org
Hahoo   Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:03 pm GMT
What da heck's wrong wid "skool" and "da"?
Boy   Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:15 pm GMT
They are short cuts for chatting purposes but don't use them in your essay compositions and other written proficiency tests, you'll def get low marks with that informal spelling.
Hahoo   Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:48 am GMT
Yeah, I know that they're informal spelling, but I didn't know that I was taking a test when I wrote them in my post.