A message to Frederick From Norway and Fab

fab   Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:32 am GMT
The "guest" was me

" But I also possess wisdom far beyond my years, and I have a right to discuss such topics with people who share common interests. "

es, but a discussion does not consist in spreading ready-made ideas, but to construct a thought with the interaction with the other peoples.

" Now, in response to Fab's reply. Fab, ask yourself. Did I ever mention Latin America, even once, in this thread? Nearly all of your reply to my original post in this thread was related to Latin America, when I never mentioned Latin America here in the first place. "

You could read read again my post, I spoke about L-A as an exemple, because yourself you have presented yourself to be of latin-American descent or latin-American culture, etc.
The use of "latin" as an ethnic term for latin-Americans only was just an exemple of the fact that words can be wrongly used. The same way "latin" used as a synonym for "mediterranean" is a mistake.

" And this thread was not about questioning whether France was a Latin country or not. I said plainly that "France is a Latin country". What I called into question was its relationship with Spain and Italy, and its degree of cultural similiarity."

You also said the idea that Italy and Spain share a "mediterranean ethnicity", that to you eyes France don't share (being a so "Gallic" country). And in this thread you said that "ethnically", latin is a synonym for mediterranean. I'm sorry but that means to you France is not latin because it would be not ethnically not enought "mediterranean" to your eyes. the subject of the topic was defined by yourself, and did not treted of cultural similarities but of "ethnicity" : LAA " One of the criteria (for being latin) points had something to do with the population having a significant, if not majority of its ethnic origin being "Latin". "

When hearing this I was interested to know what on earth could mean being "ethnically latin" ? That is whay I would like to understand better what does this ethnic definition include.

" You really need to work on your reading comprehension. You do not have to tell me that most Americans think that "latin" carries only Latin American conotations. I am fully aware of that. I'm talking about Latin Europe, and you know it, so there is no reason to even bring that up. "

It is just to recall that some words that relates to culture can be inacurately used as racial identification.

" "On the other way, south European and mediterranean are the same thing ? Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, turquey or Greece are of course mediterranean; Are they of latin ethnicity ? "
Fab, why do you have to get so hung up on trivial details and take everything to an unrealistic extreme? "

I don't think is is a trivial detail. you said that etnically "latin is a synonym for "mediterranean". I was surprise that you lump all the peoples of mediterranean origins within the latin ethnic category ?
So I asked for a confirmation (or negation), are those people ethnically latin for you ?

" Why can't you just use common sense, and debate the real issue at hand? Of course I'm not referring to Algerians, Egyptians, or Turks. "

!!?? "of course", and why ?? In Europe when you speak about mediterranean people you think about Greeks, Libanese, Italians, Algerians, a lot of different kind of people and cultures who whare our lovely mare nostrum.

" When used in this context, anyone with half a brain would know that by Mediterranean, we are referring to European mediterranean peoples. "

And inside mediterranean Europeans, do you consider Greeks to be of latin ethnicity ? And what about Albanians, Maltese, or Croatians, they are south Europeans too and in general don't look different than most Spaniards ? that interest me

" Think what you want Fab. You're entitled to your own opinion, however dissolusioned that may be. "

I don't have opinion, I just try to push you to give the arguments that lead you to have your opinions.

" What about the other 70% who aren't obese? Are they not Americans because they are not fat?". I wouldn't say that because it is silly. "
this is the tactic that Fab continues to employ. "

I use this "tactic" because I had not yet your answer to the question. Can we use a physical description of people as a definition of the people in question ? You think (righetly in my opinion!) that it is stupid to consider that being fat would be a criteria for being American - But in the same time you think that to be considered as a south European, latin or mediterranean you should have a precise physical appearance. It is quite contraditional.
Anti LAA   Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:45 am GMT
Well, shall we change the name of this forum?
It should be "The babysitter forum", or "Welcome to the real world".

Ok LAA, no more sarcasm from my side. I promise you that.
LAA   Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:59 am GMT
"First of all I would like to take distance from the posters who "attacked" LAA. Enven if I don't agree with LAA, I like him like a little brother.
I think he is just a teenager, with a quite tipical teenager, that is to say someone who wants to proove to the other people that he is someone, that he knows a lot and in the same time he's showing with his thoughs an insecurity and an obvious lack of experience of life. I won't blame him for that, it is quite normal to be like that; We should remember not so long ago we had the same kind of strange mix of arrogancy and insecurity. I would like our discussions with hims help him to face dialectics and develop a capacity of taking distance to his own pre-conceve opinions (or the others opinions he read in books). That is why I try to push him in the extremities of is logic and though, and often give exemples where the situation would be reversed to him - to take conscience of the sujectivity/vs objectivity things. that why a discussion has to be lead with arguments, and not just consists in vague feelings and pre-concieved ideas taht one doesn't want to ask the truth.
I personally thank our public school system in France where Philosophy classes are obligation at the age of 17 years. this is where you can learn not just to have learn knowledge you've read but to construct your own knowledge and get the dialectic tools that could permit to contruct it with your experiences in your adult life and confrontation with other people's argumentations. "

Excuse me? I like him like a little brother? First, you're the "anti-LAA" as if you're the Antimoon version of the Anti-Christ, and then you affectionately refer to me as "your little brother". Do you realize how contradictory those two statements are?

I realize that I'm very different. Most people who meet me are taken aback by my outgoing personality. I live life to the fullest, and I talk to strangers as if they're my neighbors, with certain exceptions due to proper decorum depending on the circumstances of course. I am not easily offended, and I'm very easy going. I enjoy racial or cultural humor. I'm Mexican, and I love to hear "beaner" jokes, regardless of who's telling them. I am very open, frank, and honest, and I'm very confident in being myself. I am not a follower. And I don't have anything to prove to anyone. Quite frankly, I really don't give a flying fig what someone who lives 6,000 miles away thinks of me. Honestly, I don't. I am not concerned with being "politically correct", or sensitive to people's touchy feelings. I don't say "African-American", just to be a brown nose. And that's why people like me. They know that I'm real with them. They can depend on me to be honest and straight foward. They know that if they ask me how they look in a certain outfit, I won't hesitate to politely speak my mind.

I don't object to, or take offense when European teenagers say America is a nation of fat people, because I can see what they mean about that. I don't get all uptight and sensitive about it, as if their opinion of my country was meant as a personal insult, because I know at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

I pride myself in not following the party line. I am very respectful to people, very friendly, and I treat them the way I would want to be treated in return, and if they're people of good character, they will appreciate that.

I don't ever try to be "macho" to prove something.

And I find it amusing that many of you could presume to know me, and judge me as a person, when you don't know me from Adam. Have you distanced yourself from you own preconcieved misconceptions? If not, why should you expect the same from me?

I actually wrote an apology to Fab/Anti-LAA/Guest, over a matter which I debated with him, and have since learned, through much research that I was wrong. It didn't go through, because you are only allowed to post three posts over a 24 hour period. But I freely admit when I'm wrong. How many of you would do that?

I don't need lectures from you. I am still being shaped as a person, and lay everything out on the table.

You guys have repeatedly brought up my one comment on my IQ. That's just an example of you not understanding me. I ONCE mentioned, that I have a high IQ. I was tested by the state and by the school system, so that I could challenge several of my courses and move onto college level work. I mentioned this one time in response to someone who claimed that I was stupid, perhaps because I have yet to visit Europe. Well forgive me, if I don't have the privlege of frequenting Europe on holiday twice a year. I live with my mother, who is a single parent, and her and I have to work our ass off to make ends meet. So, no, I don't have the option of visiting Paris this summer. Sorry.

I mentioned the IQ thing, not because I was bragging. If you really knew me, you would know that I will automatically say things that most people would think in their minds, but refrain from saying out loud, for fear of what others might think about them.

Here's another example. My two best friends happen to be black. I hang out with black people all the time, and anyone who knows me knows that I am the farthest thing from a racist. But I will freely remark at how a lot of Black people get cold easily. It's very common for black people in America to prefer a warmer temperature for their home, not that all of them are that way. I will say that to black people, or about them, because I speak my mind and I'm honest with people. Now, if these people know me, they have no problem with the comment because they know I'm not racist, and that I'm real. I'm not phony with them, and they respect me for that.

You people don't know me. You're not my friends, you're not my family in any sense of the word, and the majority of you aren't even my countrymen, so no close relationship exists between any of you and I. For all I care, you are no different than someone who exchanged eye contact with me on the subway.

The point is, you know I'm very smart, and most of the people on Antimoon are all very smart. Linguistics is a topic normally reserved for the circle of intellectuals. You are all smart. You know I'm smart, so why pretend this is not so? And the same time, I know I have very, very, much to learn. I can fascinate the average person with my knowledge of books, history, politics, economics, etc. But I can't tell you what true love feels like. I can't tell you what it takes for a marriage to work, and I mean, REALLY know. I can't even tell you how to drive a stick shift. And I freely acknowledge that. A sense of positive confidence in myself is healthily maintained, while recognition of what I have yet to learn through experience is always at the forefront of my mind. I do this purposely so that I do not develop an attitude of feeling superior to everyone else. I save time at the end of each day for serious self reflection.

I don't need your malicious advice. I live you with this last thought. I am not going to respect you, or learn from you, if you do not treat me with respect.
Tiffany   Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:00 am GMT
<<Excuse me? I like him like a little brother? First, you're the "anti-LAA" as if you're the Antimoon version of the Anti-Christ, and then you affectionately refer to me as "your little brother". Do you realize how contradictory those two statements are?>>

How do you know fab and Anti-LAA are the same person?

<<It didn't go through, because you are only allowed to post three posts over a 24 hour period. >>

I've never heard of this rule. Indeed, I have made over 3 posts today.

<<I don't need your malicious advice. I live you with this last thought. I am not going to respect you, or learn from you, if you do not treat me with respect.>>

Who are you talking to?