English pronunciation-the position of the tongue

Learner   Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:34 pm GMT
Hi everyone,

How do you put your tongue when you pronounce english words? I mean the position of your tongue.

have a good anywhere you are.

Bye
Uriel   Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
Well, that's going to depend on what you're saying. Could you be specific?
Rick Johnson   Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
Usually in my mouth!
Wan   Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:53 am GMT
How do I pronounce TH sound?
I hear many British people saying -I fink, I tink-.
So I guess, this sound is difficult for many British people as well.
Uriel   Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:33 am GMT
No, they can do a th when they want.

To pronounce a soft th (like the one in "think"), position your tongue as for S, but then drop the tip down to touch the bottom edge of your top front teeth.

To do a hard th (like "this" or "that"), put your tongue in the same position as above but use your vocal cords as well.

If those tricks don't help, just try to imitate someone with a bad lisp.
Candy   Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:45 am GMT
It's not difficult for British people to pronounce - but saying f instead of th is a feature of certain British accents. They can say it correctly when they want to!
I've never heard a British person saying 'I tink', although a lot of Irish people pronounce th as somewhere between t and th.
Damian   Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:37 pm GMT
A Scot's interpretation:

In UK Cockneyspeak or Estuaryspeak the TH sound has two distinctive variables.

THink = fink
WiTH = wiv

Oi fink oi will go wiv my mite to the pub tonight = I think I will go with my mate to the pub tonight.

To confuse things even more, the only T in that sentence pronounced as a T is the initial T in "tonight" which in true Estuary/Cockneyspeak should ideally be something like [TOO'noi']. Mite is not a creepy crawly but a "mate"...who could be a creepy crawly I suppose, it depends on the company you keep.
Candy   Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:44 pm GMT
Getting a little off-topic here, but in my home town in NW England, a lot of people pronounce 'twenty' as 'twe'y' (that is, missing out the n AND the t!) Horrible.
I heard someone talking Estuary English a little while ago:" 'o' inni' ". This is my feeble attempt to transcribe what was little more than a collection of glottal stops, or in normal English 'it's hot, isn't it?'
american nic   Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
Lol, now that's a strong accent...

Are there any accents/dialects that actually pronounce the 't' in twenty in informal speech? In mine, it sounds like somewhere between 'twenny' and 'twunny', which I figure it pretty consistant throughout much of North America.
Lazar   Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
I always pronounce "twenty" as "twenny" [twEni].
Uriel   Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Twunny it is. But fordy's even bedder.
Candy   Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:44 pm GMT
for'y, in my town. Then imagine the y is pronounced almost like 'eh' - 'for'eh'.
No wonder I don't live there any more...
Alexander   Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:56 am GMT
Alot of English people from the south east pronounce th like an f.
Guest   Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
He dink he no eh v dang = He thinks he knows everything. (Southern Poor Class Black)

Middle Class Black= Tonigh we are goin tu the mal. I ono if we should go there, bu I do know tha we will have a good time.

Tonight we are going to the mall. I don't know if we should go there, but I do know that we will have a good time.

I had to learn how to say NOT. I use to say it without the T. I feel that I am the only person in America black or white that pronounces T.

Little doesn't have any t's in it: lid ul

Title: Ti ul

anybody: anyba e

bother: bodder

it: id

test: tes
Travis   Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:26 am GMT
I myself tend to pronounce "twenty" as ["tw_0V:i~] or ["tw_0V:I~], with [V:i~] or [V:I~] being a nasalized long diphthong with a stressed first component, unless I'm spealking carefully or formally, where then it is ["tw_0V~:4~i:] unless I specifically emphasize it, where then it is ["tw_0V~:nt_hi:].

>>
Title: Ti ul

anybody: anyba e<<

I have this sort of elision in *many* common words, including "little", for which I normally also have it, and even many words that are more literary in nature. This seems to be rather common in NAE dialects in informal speech, even though it does not seem to be explicitly noted much, even though my dialect still seems to have it more commonly than most NAE dialects.