Bush’s English vs Blair’s English

reporter   Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:30 pm GMT
Most of us know the differences between US and UK English, but few of us heard how Bush and Tony Blair speak in private and reveal their true accent.

In a hidden interview at the UN. Bush and Blair were caught on camera having a secret discussion about Middle East crises.

Bush’s accent sounded like a redneck while eating with a mouth full, and his manners were not far from a cowboy. His vocabulary is far from an educated country leader. He also said:

“to stop doing this SHIT, and it’s over”

Bush accent sounds very mushy and unintelligible, while Tony’s is very clear and crisp.

You can view and hear the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stquBMx2MK0&mode=related&search=
Guest   Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
Both are assholes, stop.
viri   Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
Also Bush has no manners, as he kept talking with his mouth full of food.
Aldo   Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
Blair accent is very strange to me, but maybe cas im not used with british accent, Bush is just a cawboy like you said, he is from Texas but hes accent is general american.
Boy   Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:35 am GMT
interesting video. I saw it on Tv. Bush came across as a thug that's all I can say.
Siufan Mok   Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:11 am GMT
As much as I dislike some of Blair's policies, I've got to admit that he's a master of the English spoken language.
Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:18 am GMT
"As much as I dislike some of Blair's policies, I've got to admit that he's a master of the English spoken language."

Did you know that he is Scottish? The way he speaks is just RP English, not a big deal
Uriel   Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:57 am GMT
Bush does not have a general American accent. It's definitely a variant of southern. And he's not really a true Texan, having been born and bred in New England, and he's definitely not anything like an actual working cowboy. Who, by the way, have the same table manners as anyone else.
Liz   Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 am GMT
<<Did you know that he is Scottish? The way he speaks is just RP English, not a big deal>>

I did. He doesn't really sound Scottish but he doesn't speak perfect RP (if there is such a thing), either. He doesn't pronounce his "r"-s the way RP speakers normally do, they sound a bit more American (at least to my ears). Furthermore, he doesn't drop all his "r"-s in the environments where RP speakers do (he is Scottish after all).

Many people say he sounds Estuary (maybe because of his americanised "r" sounds). Others accuse him of changing his accent all the time, depending on the situation. When making a public speech or negotiating etc. he speaks RP, and he turns to Estuary when talking to people of the streets.

Recently, he has come into serious criticism for acting like that, but I don't think what he does is a crime. He is not the apple of my eyes :-) but I think it's normal to speak carefully, meticuously on occasions when that's appropriate, and changing our accent to a more relaxed one when talking to friends. It's a bit like clothing, I think.
anna   Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
"Recently, he has come into serious criticism for acting like that, but I don't think what he does is a crime. He is not the apple of my eyes :-) but I think it's normal to speak carefully, meticuously on occasions when that's appropriate, and changing our accent to a more relaxed one when talking to friends. It's a bit like clothing, I think."

Ok Liz, But don’t you think that for a president that represents a country, a nation, America, to speak like a redneck, using the word “shit” while at the G8 summit and conversing with Blair, is a bit inappropriate for any educated person representing a nation?

I think that Bush ruined the image of America, Americans and American accent.
Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 pm GMT
I particularly enjoyed the "yo, blair" bit. Wouldn't "yo, tony" have sounded better?
Adam   Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
"Also Bush has no manners, as he kept talking with his mouth full of food. "

A typical American characteristic.
Pabz   Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:15 pm GMT
Bush is an embarrassment to the US, simple as that. There was a time when it was assumed that leaders of nations -- including the US -- had to be educated, smart, and accomplished, and speak well, regardless of their political leanings. Now, it's just whoever the marketing machine can sell to the masses, well golly that's our president. No substance required. Shit.

Don't listen to Bush for English lessons. Yes Blair speaks well compared to Bush. Then again my 2-year-old niece knows how to say "nuclear".
Guest   Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:34 pm GMT
<<Ok Liz, But don’t you think that for a president that represents a country, a nation, America, to speak like a redneck, using the word “shit” while at the G8 summit and conversing with Blair, is a bit inappropriate for any educated person representing a nation?>>

Yes, you are absolutely right, but my statement (that you have quoted) is about Tony Blair, and not about Bush. I only meant to say that changing one's accent depending on the situation is completely normal and acceptable.

Bush's (looks so weird in this form :-)) is another cup of tea... Euphemistically speaking, he is not always appropriate.

<<A typical American characteristic.>>

Adam, I reckon you mean it is not a British characteristic. British people are always sooo polite... Yes, it is true, but you know, the exception proves the rule. And you are the exception...
Liz   Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
Sorry, the above guest is me.