The Brits & English speakers are linguistically disabled

Uriel   Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:02 am GMT
Really? I had a Chinese friend in Japan who could never find anyone to talk to. She could read kanji, of course (since it's the same as Chinese ideographs), but she said she always felt stupid when Japanese people spoke to her in stores, since she had no idea what they were saying, and because she knew they had mistaken her for one of their own.

And if you really want stereotypes, Juan, I could tell you that every Japanese male is drunk after 8 pm, and that vaunted "politeness" is barely skin-deep -- they're xenophobic as hell. But that would not be very nice, now, would it?
Benjamin   Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59 am GMT
Again, I think that some people (Juan) still fail to appreciate that the sort of British people who live in Spain represent a certain TYPE of British people. They do not represent British people as a whole.

People from different places seem to have very different ideas about what 'British people' (or any other nationality) are usually like, because different sorts of people go to different places. For example, when I was with a group of German students last year, I was surprised when they said that people in Germany often though of British people as being very polite and rather quiet. This is completely the opposite from what people in Spain apparently think.
dr.   Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
Brits from Spain are people from all three social classes

1.working class ( a minority) just visiting an temporary residents.
2.midle class (most residents)
3.upper class ( house owners)

Plus a large number of retired people. Spain is seen like a sunny paradise with no time restriction for consuming alcohol (in UK after 23.00 you cant buy alcohol). The UK is already infamous for its Sport hooligans and the highest alcohol consumption in the EU, besides the highest number of cirrhosis in the world.
Damian in London   Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:48 pm GMT
***The UK is already infamous for its Sport hooligans and the highest alcohol consumption in the EU, besides the highest number of cirrhosis in the world***

The UK does have a problem with binge drinking among some younger people, but if you bothered to check official statistics you will find those quoted in your post are totally inaccurate. Without me posting website links to confirm this, you will have to accept what I say as being true.

Many other European countries (eg the Scandinavian countries, Germany, Belgium, France, Poland) consume more alcohol per capita than does the United Kingdom, on an on-going situation. As the title implies, binge drinking is done on a short term, if excessive, basis, usually at weekends. The incidence of cirrhosis of the liver, kidney failure, and other alcohol related diseases is far higher in France, for example, than here in the UK, and the same is true among the Spanish. Remember, wine drinking is endemic in those countries from a very early age.

I went with a school party to Romania in 1999 to see a total eclipse of the sun. While we were there the Romanian people we were staying with offered us vodka with our breakfast! Apparently they like a wee dram to start the day! Our average age was 17. I admit I did have a shot with the horribly dreich grey bread and bloody ubiquitous water melon we had for every meal there, but in the UK voddie and bran flakes with mixed fruits don't go together at breakfast time.

At least the occasion taught us all the Romanian word for "cheers" (or "slains" in Gaelic) when raising a glass - noroc!
Steve   Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:52 pm GMT
A great deal of ignorance has been shown in this topic.
Benjamin   Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Dr. — my assumption from your post is that you are not British because you do not seem to understand how the British class system works. Please say if this is not the case.

It is NOT about how much money you have. I am middle class, but there are a LOT of working class families who have considerably more money than my family.

It has also seemed to me that most of the British people who live in Spain are rich working class people. There are television programmes shown all the time (I mean almost literally every week) about British people living in Spain, buying homes in Spain, selling homes in Spain and the like. Almost everyone you see on those programmes is clearly working class, regardless of how much money they might have.

The majority of home owners are certainly not 'upper class' in any sense. The 'upper class' are the aristocrats and the people of 'old money'. Very very few British people fall into this category.

In other words, a person does not simply become 'middle class' or 'upper class' here by having more money.
from OHIO   Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:43 pm GMT
<<<3.upper class ( house owners) >>>

Dr,

Why is that you consider the house owners being in upper class?
To me upper class involves mor ethan money and not necessary money.Education and being an intelectual are part of being in upper class, and not necessary this category of people have a lot of money.
euro   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
"U.K. Has Worst Anti-Social Behavior Problem in Europe

The U.K. has the worst problem with anti-social behavior in Europe, fuelled by alcohol and a lack of discipline in homes and schools, according to a study by the Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science at University College London.

The government has taken steps to clean up the reputation of Britons abroad. In April, the Foreign Office said it would begin charging fees to aid citizens who get in trouble overseas"

FACT > "The government has taken steps to clean up the reputation of Britons"

The Brits are just like the old BARBARIANS

from the wwww. Alcoholics Anonymous in England, Scotland and Wales, UK. http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/alcoholics-anonymous-reviews/2006/05/uk-has-worst-anti-social-behavior.html

you see it is not just about NOT BEING CAPABLE OF LEARNING A LANGUAGE. The Brits are not capable of DISCIPLINE!
Guest   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:11 pm GMT
Yeah, but you're a xenophobic wanker, and that's just as bad.
@ Damian   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:23 pm GMT
"Many other European countries (eg the Scandinavian countries, Germany, Belgium, France, Poland) consume more alcohol per capita than does the United Kingdom, on an on-going situation"

Yes ! The Brits don’t drink the same quantity as the French. But the Brits drink intensively! The Brits like to get drunk and the state of being drunk vandalise, destroy, fight, and other anti-social behaviours. Belive me I live in Bristol (UK) and I know how it is after 3 am on Friday and Saturday. Women are also AS DRUNK AS MEN and pissing on the streets.

“LONDON (Reuters) - Britons are the worst binge drinkers in Europe and women are catching up with men in the heavy drinking stakes, the government said Friday, urging a "more civilized" late-night culture. A report by Downing Street's strategy unit found that while Britons drink less than most of their continental neighbours, they drink more intensively”

The Brits have a serious educational problem, a crises with the lower graduate % in Europe. Don’t be surprised by their lack of linguistic knowledge.

The British gentleman was a myth. Today we associate it with Hooligans and Beckham!
Steve   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:24 pm GMT
Look, if you want to indulge in name-calling and stereotypes, please do it elsewhere.
Guest   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:26 pm GMT
No stereotypes dude, rather a "The government has taken steps to clean up the reputation of Britons"

xxx
Steve   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:28 pm GMT
The British gentleman was a myth. Today we associate it with Hooligans and Beckham! = stereotype. Dude.
The drunken Brit   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
HEALTH NEWS ARCHIVE

"Britain's reputation as a nation of boozers has been confirmed by a new study, which has found that the UK has the worst binge-drinking problem in Europe."

http://news.netdoctor.co.uk/news_detail.php?id=17089032&date=07/04/2006

@Steve - IS THIS A STEREOTYPE as well? I looks like FACTS !
Steve   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:45 pm GMT
I didn't say that that's not a fact.

This, however, is a stereotype:
"The Brits like to get drunk and the state of being drunk vandalise, destroy, fight, and other anti-social behaviours."

You can find stereotype in the dictionary.
I imagine too, that in a good grammar, you can find the correct way to say "I looks like FACTS!".

Connecting things like this is ridiculous too. The fact that Brits drink a lot and that there's a bit of fighting has nothing to do with language. Nor does education.

In South Africa, a country with the highest violent crime rate in the world and very low education rates, there are 11 official languages and the majority of people in the country are at least bilingual and many speak as many as five languages.

There is no relation between the arguments and the point. If you'd like to discuss languages, fine, however, if you'd rather use this as a forum to discuss your petty hatred for a people you don't know a great deal about, take it to a fascist, hatred-fueld forum somewhere else on the net.