''multipurpose'', ''multimedia'' and ''multiverse''

Urg   Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:19 pm GMT
How do you pronounce these words? I pronounce them:

multipurpose - /mVltaIp3`p@S/

multimedia - /mVltimidi@/

multiverse - /mVltIv3`s/
Kirk   Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
For words like "multi-" or "anti-" I can have either [aI] or [i].
Urg   Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:03 am GMT
So, then for you ''multipurpose'', ''multimedia'' and ''multiverse'' don't differ at all as to how the ''multi-'' is pronounced? In case your wondering what ''multiverse'' means, here's an explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse. It's a group of universes.
Urg   Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:14 am GMT
Kirk   Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:06 am GMT
Well I don't use the word "multiverse" very often but I would imagine that I would indeed have [I] there, in analogy with the [I] I have in "universe." However, for other words they're somewhat interchangeable, altho certain words seem to lean towards one pronunciation over another for me.
Lazar   Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:52 am GMT
I generally pronounce "multi" as [mVlti].

multipurpose - [mVltip3`p@s]
multimedia - [mVltimidi@]
multiverse - [mVltiv3`s]

Contrast my "multiverse" [mVltiv3`s] with my "universe" [junIv3`s]: I use [i] for one and [I] for the other, unlike Kirk who uses [I] for both.
Kirk   Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:58 am GMT
<<Contrast my "multiverse" [mVltiv3`s] with my "universe" [junIv3`s]: I use [i] for one and [I] for the other, unlike Kirk who uses [I] for both.>>

Of course "multiverse" isn't a common word at all and I don't even remember saying it, so I was just guessing how I'd say it. I've just read it before. "Multipurpose" and "multimedia" are much better words to gauge such things because they're common in the spoken language as well.
Lazar   Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:46 pm GMT
Yes, "multiverse" isn't common, and it isn't really part of my native lexicon - I think I just learned it from some scientific articles. I assumed it was [mVltiv3`s] rather than [mVltIv3`s] because I pronounce "multi" as [mVlti] in any other instance where it occurs.

I guess that for me, the urge to analogize "multiverse" with "multimedia", "multipurpose", etc., was stronger than the urge to analogize "multiverse" with "universe".
SpaceFlight   Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:57 pm GMT
<<Yes, "multiverse" isn't common, and it isn't really part of my native lexicon - I think I just learned it from some scientific articles. I assumed it was [mVltiv3`s] rather than [mVltIv3`s] because I pronounce "multi" as [mVlti] in any other instance where it occurs.

I guess that for me, the urge to analogize "multiverse" with "multimedia", "multipurpose", etc., was stronger than the urge to analogize "multiverse" with "universe".>>

Lazar,

I rarely ever say ''multiverse''. But I've commonly written about it, because I'm interested in outer space and the possibility of other universes existing in a multiverse. It seems likely that there are some other universes out there, perhaps an infinite number of them. Here's my space forum http://17.freebb.com/index.php? . My username there is ''Steve''.
Gjones2   Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:30 am GMT
Urg, I would say the 'i' in 'multipurpose', 'multimedia', and 'multiverse' the same (like 'ea' in 'tea', though maybe a bit shorter). The 'i' in 'universe', though, is a schwa for me.

It's been years since I've done much writing about pronunciation, and I don't recall the symbols of the various systems of transcription. I notice that Antimoon has a page about that -- http://www.antimoon.com/misc/phonetichelp.htm

Using its ASCII Phonetic Alphabet, I suppose that my 'multi-' would be m^lti: (where are you guys getting your symbols -- do you have a link that gives examples in English words?).
Lazar   Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:05 am GMT
This wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAMPA_chart_for_English
shows the SAMPA symbols for English.

This page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA
shows all the X-SAMPA symbols, which include many sounds not found in English. (X-SAMPA is an extension of SAMPA.)
Kirk   Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:34 am GMT
<<Using its ASCII Phonetic Alphabet, I suppose that my 'multi-' would be m^lti: (where are you guys getting your symbols -- do you have a link that gives examples in English words?).>>

We don't normally use Antimoon's system because it's not very detailed. It really only deals with differences on a phonemic level while what we discuss often involves phonemic representations as well as actual phonetic surface manifestation of underlying sounds. For that XSAMPA is best (well IPA would be ideal but its symbols can't be displayed here, and XSAMPA is IPA but with normal characters everyone can see and read). Using XSAMPA your "multi" would be /mVlti/ --> ["mV5ti].
Travis   Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:52 am GMT
Around here, "multi" is usually just /mOltaI/, and if it is not such then it is less commonly /mOlti/. Note the shift from /@/ to /O/, and the preferring of /aI/ over /i/ (and especially /I/).
Kirk   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:05 am GMT
I have [o] (a rounded and back [o]) in "multi." So for me it's [mo5ti] or [mo5taI].
Lazar   Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:29 am GMT
I definitely use the unrounded vowel [V] in "multi". I perceive "multi" as having the exact same vowel as "hut" or "sum".

Kirk: does a pair like "insult"-"molt" rhyme for you?