the redneck aacent

E.E.A   Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 am GMT
I heard alot about it can anyone here get me more information about this american accent as i guess
elina   Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 am GMT
sort of an exaggerated ,less educated -sounding acceent from the southen states in the USA. if u listen to Goerge W Bush speak , he has a southen aacent , but its not quite hillibilyish ...or of u have any way to see undubbed episodes of the simpsons , listen to clentus and brandine speaking
Rene   Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:14 pm GMT
Watch Gone With the Wind and listen to Scarlet (if you can bear to). There are lots of movies that use that accent but I think Gone Wtih the Wind is the most famous.
Damian in London   Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 pm GMT
We call them Tories over here
Guest   Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
Rednecks love to be racist but the only races they can tell apart is indy and nascar racing.
Presley.   Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
A red-neck accent would be kinda like this:

http://www.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/alabama/alabama.htm

Most of them sound pretty hick. Lala la la la, warm it up. Lala la la la, the boys are waiting. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like, it's better than yours...oh, sorry. I was listening to that song.
Deborah   Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:55 pm GMT
The name redneck (at least in the southern US) referred to farmers or other laborers who worked in the sun all day, so that their necks got red, hence it's association with lack of formal education. Brennus is right, there is no one redneck accent. But I think most people in the US associate rednecks with the South. And mjd is right, Vivian Leigh was attempting, somewhat successfully, an aristrocratic Southern accent in "Gone With The Wind".

If you can find a copy of the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird", you'll hear a good example of a redneck accent from the character Bob Ewell, the father of the alleged rape victim. (The story takes place in Mississippi in the 1930's.)
Deborah   Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
Sorry, "To Kill a Mockingbird" takes place in Alabama, not Mississippi.
Deborah   Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
hence it's association --> hence its association