Where is this speaker from?

Tom K.   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:54 pm GMT
So can we get the answer before this thread gets knocked off the page? I don't think anyone's interested in guessing anymore.
Rom   Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
>>It could possibly be Toronto<<
It is not from Toronto.
Rom   Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:17 pm GMT
Here are the following words: http://site1.afraid.org/hosting/rom/sore.wav
sore
thesaurus
dinosaur
centaur
Taurus
saurian
tyrannosaurus
aura
Laura
Lauren
Lawrence
Mauritania
Kirk   Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:24 pm GMT
<<So can we get the answer before this thread gets knocked off the page? I don't think anyone's interested in guessing anymore.>>

Yes, I agree.

Rom, you've had your fun. People lose interest when things drag on unnecessarily. It was interesting to look at at first but I couldn't care less if all you're gonna do is keep on posting audio samples and give evasive and vague responses. Just say where you're from and then we can move on and maybe even discuss some of the speech characteristics of your region

:)
Blake   Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:13 am GMT
It's the accent of a MD/PA/Del/NJ person transplanted to Coloroda
Rom   Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
Ok. It's time to reveal the secret! Both speakers are from the Cascadia region.
Uriel   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:30 am GMT
So, BC, WA, or OR?
Rom   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:31 am GMT
>>So, BC, WA, or OR?<<
male speaker: BC
female speaker: OR
Kirk   Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:44 am GMT
<<Ok. It's time to reveal the secret! Both speakers are from the Cascadia region.>>

Well I knew at least they weren't from California :) While those audio files were interesting, I find a true measure of an accent may be found in samples of informal, spontaneous, normal everyday speech. However, that's obviously much harder to capture.
Rom   Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:40 pm GMT
>>Well I knew at least they weren't from California :) <<
Interesting. I just listened to some samples from California (Los Angeles), and they sounded about the same to me. What parts would you say sound non-Californian?
Guest   Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:20 pm GMT
I thought Oregon and California were part of the same dialect region. Is there that much dialect variation in the West?
Ol   Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:41 am GMT
>>I thought Oregon and California were part of the same dialect region. Is there that much dialect variation in the West?<<
I'm very surprised. There shouldn't be. The west coast supposedly all sounds the same, except for San Francisco of course. Maybe Kirk is from San Francisco?
Uriel   Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:10 am GMT
Kirk is not from SF. But that voice sample didn't sound Californian to me.
Rom   Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:38 am GMT
Here's a sample from Los Angeles: http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=408

it sounds the same to me...
Ecko   Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:54 am GMT
Hes from Earth