There's nothing wrong with the words ''restroom'' and ''wash

Meh   Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:50 pm GMT
All the same pipes anyway.
Rick   Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:05 am GMT
<<Whether from a toilet or a bath, it's all pipes and drains!>>

<<All the same pipes anyway.>>

Why not just use the bathroom in the appropriate place, which is the toilet.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:07 am GMT
<<having been brought up countless times by the poster that is now going by the name of "SpaceFlight" (he's had many aliases over the years, but it's always the same stuff...."restrooms," "hot water heaters," "multiverse theory," etc.).>>

Just because there have been similar threads to this one in the past, doesn't mean that I started them. Don't blame me for whatever threads you're talking about.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:10 am GMT
That person does seem to have similar interests to me though, because I am interested in outer space (as that other person seems to be).
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 am GMT
<<I don't like restroom and bathroom, either... It should be toilet.
But here in South Korea, everyone is so crazy about American English, that you read "Restroom" everywhere and "toilet" is dying out...>>

What's so wrong with the words ''bathroom'' and ''restroom''. They're not euphemisms. Why do so many people think that they are?
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:53 am GMT
<<Well, a better explanation would be that that person is you, since you do both share the same IP address. Oddly enough, you also have the same address as the person that posts random strings of letters and periods. It's not like I need to verify all of this, as it's always very obviously you given your writing style, but, hey, if you're going to deny it, the proof is in the pudding.>>

Well, I did start some threads like that it the past. But what I'm saying is that not *all* those threads were started by me. That thread I'm quoting from definitely was not started by me. There are some threads like that (such as the one I'm quoting from) that were not started by me.
Uriel   Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:38 am GMT
And lest you all think that Americans are just hopelessly delicate about the whole business of doing your business, we also refer to that facility as "the shitter". So bathroom; shitter -- take your pick.
Guest   Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 am GMT
mjd wrote - "Well, a better explanation would be that that person is you, since you do both share the same IP address."

Have you ever considered that several people might be sharing the same proxy from one ISP? Often you can't disable use of such a proxy, especially for web-based data, so all users from an ISP will appear to have the same address.
Rick Johnson in England (   Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:35 am GMT
"Bog" is a word that could be used in these parts - although its rarely used seriously! I had an American friend who quite liked the word as he explained it was a good euphemism for a dirty, wet, stinking hole...........thankfully I never visited his house!!!
nick   Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:11 pm GMT
but I don't think you can do anything on this. :)
Geoff_One   Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 am GMT
A word that use to be used in Australia for toilet and probably still is, is "out house".
Frances   Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:22 am GMT
"Out house" refers more to the toilet that is not attached to the house, a toilet in the backyard. These hardly occur these days as toilets are now built as a part of the house but the expression could be used coloquially still.
Turn it up   Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:45 am GMT
How about the dunny?
Vcaf   Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
I see this debate, which has raged in my mind for quite some time has already been discussed.

All this anti-american business is perhaps warranted, though I am American. It is just silly to say restroom, bathroom and washroom however have their implications. None of them seem to be appropriate for where you are actually going. I like the term toilet, it simple and effective. You aren't beating around the bush with it, you're just getting straight to the point of what you are going to do. Restroom sounds more polite, but what's the point, it's not like you're going to the restroom to do something other than what you'd do in the toilet. So, I think we should end this debate on the note that RESTROOM is incredibly stupid, and the other two can go up on trial again somewhere else.
Rick Johnson   Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
Shitter is my preferred term of reference. Now let's be done with this silly thread!