Bush's Quotes

abc   Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
Could someone explain to me why the following quotes are supposedly hilarious?

1) "He can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."

2) "Our nation must come together to unite." (repetitive meaning?)

3) "I'm conservative, but I'm not a nut about it."

4) "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."

5) "I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state."

And I'll leave you with this one:
"The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case."
guest   Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
<<Could someone explain to me why the following quotes are supposedly hilarious? >>

I would say that there sad rather then hilarious. It shows on an extreme abuse of the language, to see it being enforced by a countries leader is nothing less then an abomination!
Guest   Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure.
I hate spam   Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
<<For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it>>

Teaching those using guns on the American streets to obtain a better aim, thus eliminating the non-fatal shootings! Guess it would save them a lot off money within their health care system ;)
Guest   Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
what health care system?
Deborah   Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
<< 1) "He can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road." >>

He's mixed a couple of metaphors, and it appears that he doesn't know what either of them means.

<< 5) "I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state." >>

There's supposed to be a *separation* between church and state in the US, not a bridge. I think this one is a Freudian slip.
Uriel   Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:35 am GMT
3) "I'm conservative, but I'm not a nut about it."

Well, actually, he IS considered to be a little "nutty" in his conservatism. Even other Republicans think he goes too far with a lot of his nonsense, in terms of stem cell research, gay marriage prohibitions, etc.

Uh, he's not a lady, first or otherwise....

4) "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."

REALLY gotta work on that aim, folks!

Yeah, coming together is the same as uniting....
Liz   Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
<< 5) "I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state." >>

There's supposed to be a *separation* between church and state in the US, not a bridge. I think this one is a Freudian slip.>>

Surely it is! His secret desire is to create a theocratic state and to become the leader of the church :-))) Oh, no!!!!!

<<3) "I'm conservative, but I'm not a nut about it.">>

In other words: "I'm conservative as long as it does me any good, but I'm willing to change my mind if it's better for me." And a president shouldn't use words like "nutty" in public, (at least in my view).

He loves his wife so much that they are one body, one soul...

1) "He can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."

What a nice form of catachresis!

Yes, it is. They can't unite separately. However, it's more or less acceptable, as he wanted to emphasise the "unity". Tautology can be a figure of speech, despite the fact that we all know that Bush isn't famous for his eloquence. Back to this quotation, I've heard a similar but "better" one (not from Bush): "We shall come to unite together" or something like that. This one is much worse than that of Bush!

Yeah, that happens in the States... No comment!!!
Uriel   Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
<<Surely it is! His secret desire is to create a theocratic state and to become the leader of the church :-))) Oh, no!!!!! >>

The problem with theocracies is everyone wants to be Theo... ;P

<<And a president shouldn't use words like "nutty" in public, (at least in my view). >>

Liz, Liz, Liz; sometimes you feel like a nut .... sometimes you don't.

<<4) "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."

Yeah, that happens in the States... No comment!!! >>

(Sigh) It's true -- we used to be SO much better shots.
Liz   Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm GMT
<<Liz, Liz, Liz; sometimes you feel like a nut .... sometimes you don't.>>

Yes, sometimes I'm nutty about people who are not nutty about using the word "nutty". And I'm lost... I should be taken to nuthouse for making so nutty comments about nutty people who think they are not nutty at all. :-)))
Guest   Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:34 am GMT
Why in God's eyes did you vote a idiot into power? Comeon! What is he the best you can get?

You Americano are idiots.
Liz   Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:26 am GMT
<<Why in God's eyes did you vote a idiot into power? Comeon! What is he the best you can get?

You Americano are idiots.>>

Not everyone voted him into power.
Uriel   Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:49 am GMT
Yeah, like nobody else has had their share of bad politicians! ;)
abc   Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
>>Yeah, like nobody else has had their share of bad politicians! ;)

Haha, eventhu I hate Bush with such a passion, but at least I don't see that as bad as voting into power a PM who'd beg just to go to the ME.
greg   Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm GMT
Deborah : « There's supposed to be a *separation* between church and state in the US, not a bridge. »

Ça va sans dire... Mais ça va mieux en le disant !

;)