the speech of youngsters

Liz   Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
Hello,
I have the task to carry out a research on the language use of the young.
I'm going to spend half a year abroad (in Germany), so I won't deal with English-speaking people. But it is not important here what language I'm about to investigate. Could you help me? Do you have any ideas how to start a project like this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Fredrik from Norway   Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:10 pm GMT
In Norway I have noticed that mass media consumption + the decline of a vital oral culture seem to make youngsters less linguistical competent.
The swede   Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
<<In Norway I have noticed that mass media consumption + the decline of a vital oral culture seem to make youngsters less linguistical competent. >>

Woul apply for my country too. I would also add that the schools are doing an poor job in teaching the kids how to proper use their language.
I am from Sweden by the way ;)
The swede   Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:21 pm GMT
*Would* apply....
M56   Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
<<In Norway I have noticed that mass media consumption + the decline of a vital oral culture seem to make youngsters less *linguistically* competent. >>
Fredrik from Norway   Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
Thanks, M56!
I suppose it has already started with me, too!
Colleen   Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:05 pm GMT
In America, Curse Words are extremely common now-a-days. Old words are being given new meanings. Such as old words are used to mean 'cool', or 'bad'.
Such words that now are used to replace 'cool', are 'tight', 'straight', 'chill', 'cold'.
One word (The only one I can think of right now) that is now used to replace 'bad', is: 'Gay'.

There are many other things similar to these.