Why English will never be a Romance language

Gus   Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:00 am GMT
....lol...oh yeah...
visitor   Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:45 am GMT
<<Yes, and that is related to English "cup", see! While "head" is related to German "haupt" meaning "head" (from P.Gmc. *khaubuthan) ;-) >>

-what's the point pointing out the obvious when it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand?

-is it for the sake of making a show to appear knowledgeable and gain credibility?

-c'mon...you are not that insecure!

-emilio, you know a lot, but you're not the only one who does. and you don't know everything. none of us do.
emilio   Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:53 am GMT
"what's the point pointing out the obvious when it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand?
is it for the sake of making a show to appear knowledgeable and gain credibility?"

well, then you didn't get it - since it's part of the discussion I have had with "Guest". And is all this really that obvious?
If somebody comes up to you, and says: "The earth is flat." Would you accept it and say nothing, or would you discuss it?
But if you equate a mere discussion with making a show, then you have learned something different in your culture.

but anyway, Merry Christmas to all of you!
Riech   Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:16 pm GMT
You must first identify what romance language means?
Guest   Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:17 pm GMT
Specifically, Romance is any language developed out of an attested "Proto-Romance" language, which itself developed from Vulgar Latin. It encompasses all major Modern Latin-derived tongues: French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, as well as several minor ones, but not Latin itself.
Kimura-sensei   Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
Zhiorgi: "English will never be a Romance langauge because NO ONE WANTS TO MAKE LOVE IN ENGLISH. Not voluntarily anyway. That is why Spanish speaking countries have higher birth rates than English speaking countries. It is really hard for English speaking women to overcome their nastalgia and have sex with their English speaking men."

What was that?
Kimura-sensei   Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
As some have posted before, this is not a problem. English is included in the German branch because of its Germanic ORIGINS (obviously). But if its Germanic vocabulary, syntax, etc. decay in the future, then it won't be English any more, but a new language derived from English. So future generations will be able to trace the complete story of the origins of the new language - we wish we knew this for other languages.
cutie   Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:52 am GMT
how come English will become a romance language? thats crazy... many words in spanish have been taken from german and english, but that doesn't make it a germanic language... romance languages will be that until they evolve, same with germanic languages... and sex is just out of the discussion here...
Saint   Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
" But if its Germanic vocabulary, syntax, etc. decay in the future, then it won't be English any more, but a new language derived from English. "

heh? of course. That's exactly what English presently is - a new language derived from an old one.
guest   Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
<<heh? of course. That's exactly what English presently is - a new language derived from an old one. >>

Yes and no.

English IS a language derived from an old one, but it's NOT a new language.

At no point in English's history did the language change into something new. Instead, it has gradually changed over time, as all living languages do, but it is still the same language.
Aces   Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 am GMT
Well, I think that it is certainly IMPROBABLE for English to BECOME a romance language, but hey, the US said no more illegal immigrants, and how many times do i go to colden corral, ask for medium steak and hear,"Que?" in response.....how annoying,

Anyway, the origin should not be considered in such matters, i mean, you dont go up to a person of Spanish descent and just, start speaking in Spanish, assimung they know it....their language origin may be Spanish, but they have adapted English, so it would be foolish and arrogant to say that they will never be a true English speaker just because they knew Spanish first.
Aces   Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 am GMT
O and, i was wondering, why do Latin classes always have the excuse of,"Well, you should take Latin to better understand your language based on its origin,"? i mean, come on, either all of you are wrong, or the Latin professors are just on crack
O and, i was wondering, why do Latin classes always have the excuse of,"Well, you should take Latin to better understand your language based on its origin,"? i mean, come on, either all of you are wrong, or the Latin professors are just on crack
guest   Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:01 pm GMT
Taking Latin classes serves two purposes:

1). to get you to become familiar with Latin vocabulary so that they can promulgate further entry of Latin based terminology into English, and

2). to cause you to assume the misunderstanding that you speak a Latin-derived language

that's about it.