profoundly dismay

abc   Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
"Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said he spoke to Siniora and "expressed profoundly dismay and deep sorrow.""

Shouldn't "profoundly" be "profound" instead?
Jim   Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:40 pm GMT
It's not wrong if profoundly is how he expressed the dismay and deep sorrow but usually we'd put the adverb before the verb. If, on the other hand, they'd meant it as an adjective, then, yes it should be "profound" instead.
Tiffany   Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
I would say yes, in that word order. It could be "profoundly expressed dismay", but I prefer to think it is a typo and the "-ly" should not be there.
Jim   Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 pm GMT
Well, yes, I'd say that it's more likely that you'd mistakenly type in an <ly> than mistakenly mix the order of the words up and quite unlikely that you'd put an adverb after the verb on purpose in a case such as this.
Uriel   Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
"Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said he spoke to Siniora and "expressed profoundly dismay and deep sorrow.""

Shouldn't "profoundly" be "profound" instead?

It depends.

Does the profundity describe the manner of his expression? If so, the sentence is correct: "expressed" is the verb, and "profoundly" is the adverb modifying "expressed".

Or is it his dismay that is reaching new depths? If so, the sentence is incorrect: "dismay" is a noun, and "profound" would be the adjective modifying "dismay". The -ly ending that turns a noun-modifying adjective into a verb-modifying adverb would then be out of place.

If the first scenario is what the author intended, then you might be more familiar with it bing worded with the adverb IN FRONT of the verb --

"Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said he spoke to Siniora and "profoundly expressed dismay and deep sorrow."

But it IS possible -- and not uncommon -- to put it afterward as well. Profoundly expressed = expressed profoundly. And honestly, in that sentence, I like "expressed profoundly" better -- sounds more elegant.

And remember, while it looks ambiguous on paper, in actual speech stress and intonation would tell you exactly which word goes with which other word -- there would be no confusion.