Mobile phone vs Cell phone

I hate spam   Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
<<And I hate to burst your bubbles, but you will also hear "mobile phone" in the US>>

In fact, you burst your own bubble with that statement. Furthermore, it seems that any given Yankee that uses the language properly is viewed as a snob.

<<So get a grip>>

please do!
I hate idiots   Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
*<<And I hate to burst your bubbles, but you will also hear "mobile phone" in the US>>

In fact, you burst your own bubble with that statement. Furthermore, it seems that any given Yankee that uses the language properly is viewed as a snob.

<<So get a grip>>

please do! *

Which part of Uriel's message did you misunderstand? Seems you are in a bubble...
myself   Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
Very nice to read you all.

"Mobile Phone" that is just what I have decided to use now, after all your comments. I am sure I will love it.

Cheers.
Guest   Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 pm GMT
Pssh who cares... Mobile, cell.... damn who cares what term they decide to use! I'm sure 99.9% of English speakers would know what the hell you are talking about.
American with a cell phon   Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
If a few Brits want to try to prove their better than us that's fine by me, just don't use an argument that is so stupid. Saying you are smarter because you say mobile phone just makes you sound 100 times dumber. Why don't you fall back on the old "Shakespeare was English which means all English people are automatically good at speaking and writing", OK?
Guest   Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:37 am GMT
<American with a cell phon Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
If a few Brits want to try to prove their better than us that's fine by me, just don't use an argument that is so stupid. Saying you are smarter because you say mobile phone just makes you sound 100 times dumber. Why don't you fall back on the old "Shakespeare was English which means all English people are automatically good at speaking and writing", OK?>

If you read the first post of this thread it was actually written by a non English speaker. Please don't stereotype nor assume that just because I use the term 'mobile phone' I certainly don't look down on 'cell phone' users.
mike   Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:23 am GMT
Cellular phone is simply a phone that uses a cellular network, which is correct to me to say so. The question is: what is the difference between wirless phones, and mobile phones? both are without wires, and both are mobile, while practicaly, they are completely two different things!
mobile   Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:04 pm GMT
wirless phone is a FIXED LINE phone with a small range mobility.
mobile phone is a CELLULAR NETWORK phone with a large mobility, hence mobile phone.

The correct way would be CELLULAR NETWORK phone or may be abbreviated in cellnet phone but never just cell-phone.

Be aware that the term “Cellular” without the “Network” doesn’t make any sense, and can not be attribute to “Phone” as in “Cellular Phone”

"Cellular" goes only with "Network" and should be used only in such context when referring to mobile phones.

Mobile phone or portable phone is still the best term that makes sense.

The Americans went so far by calling a mobile phone just “CELL”

That is what I call raping a language.
Guest   Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 am GMT
"Mobile phone" sounds foolish in America, so only say it in Africa, please.
linguaphile   Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:17 am GMT
>>That is what I call raping a language.<<

Cool. How old is your daughter?
www   Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
""Mobile phone" sounds foolish in America, so only say it in Africa, please. "

American English sounds foolish, that is why you guys fancy British English and many people deslike American accent.
Guest   Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:01 am GMT
What are you? A "world wide web"? That makes me think you're a spider. Spiders are evil. Go away!
Kendra   Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:38 am GMT
''Brazilians translate proper Portuguese into Brazilian Portuguese a Creole archaic version, with a grammar that looks like a mess for any Continental Portuguese speaker. ''

We could care less. Your Portuguese sounds like a mess for any Brazilian speaker. We don't even understand it for how badly it is spoken.
Lolly   Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:41 am GMT
''American English sounds foolish, that is why you guys fancy British
English and many people deslike American accent''

That's way teenagers in the UK use American expresions and American slang, and almost every pop or dance group in England sing in American English...Never heard a British song in which they sang: everybody [evribodi], it's always [everibAdi]
Joey   Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
Why don't we start world war 3. The new world against the old world and the old world against the new world.The victer can impose their will.
Who ever is from both parts can have there left side of there body fight there right and vice versa.