English a language heavily influenced by french

la verdad   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:20 am GMT
i could'nt believe how many english words are actually french when your speaking English your basically speaking french. I always thought that TION words were English at one point, but now that im in the study of french im realizing that the english language is a new language. if you take a look at lod english is so different nothing compared to know, it has change so much. not including the lating influence

http://www.mun.ca/Ansaxdat/vocab/wordlist.html
la verdad   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:21 am GMT
but i'm glad that english change if you take a look at old english the vocabulary and the spelling is very difficult
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:30 am GMT
<but i'm glad that english change if you take a look at old english the vocabulary and the spelling is very difficult >

I wouldn't agree to an extent. Many French words that entered the English language retrained it's orginal French spelling which in most cases is totally different to the English pronunciation.

If someone who can expand on this and give such examples. Please do.
pires   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:30 am GMT
trust me if your speak english and another romance language french shouldnt be hard why? some of the vocabulary is present in english and the structure is seen in other romance languages so vocabulary should't be difficult and constructing sentences;
now i problem can be the different meaning a word can have like
passer un examen does't mean to pass an examen but rather to take an examen in french. la librarie doen't mean a library it means a book store.
But true English you can say its a mixure of lots of languages thats why the vocabulary is really riche, even riche is french. im basically writing french lol
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:33 am GMT
English like all language at some point get an injection by another language. During the Norman French rule of England many words of French were incorped into the English language. Now French itself is facing the same problem with English thanks to trade.
la verdad   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:34 am GMT
words like information, invite, important,impatient,intelligent,intention,television have maintained the spelling in english but the pronounciation is different
la verdad   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:37 am GMT
in every latin language lots of words en in ION AND THATS DIDN'T HAPPEN IN ENGLISH BY ITSELF BUT RATHER BY INFLUENCE
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:37 am GMT
Hence my reason it would be impossible to compare on how hard it is to spell Old English as oppose to Modern English. English is sadly.... very 'anti-phonetic' thanks to it's lazyness to adapt the spelling of the Word to the English pronunciation.

(Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh)
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:39 am GMT
<in every latin language lots of words en in ION AND THATS DIDN'T HAPPEN IN ENGLISH BY ITSELF BUT RATHER BY INFLUENCE>

What do you mean? I mentioned the Norman French rule in England some time ago. You are simply enforcing what I said before!
mae   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:41 am GMT
hey how about hour (heure) october (octobre) november (novembre) mountain (montagne) table (table)

there was some latin or other latin influences in some of these words
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:43 am GMT
LOL well the Catholic Church and/ the Roman Empire apparently created the 12 months hence it's latin orgin.

Can really explain the others though.
LAA - Juaquin en la caja!   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:46 am GMT
<<words like information, invite, important,impatient,intelligent,intention,television have maintained the spelling in english but the pronounciation is different>>

Yes, and many of those words, in fact all of them, are used on a regular basis by anyone who speaks anything above the most basic English. These are not soley "literary words" as many on here claim. They are not reserved for those learned men with superfulous vocabularies. They are used by common elementary school children every day!

I don't know about "television" though. I don't believe it was invented by any Francophone, or in France, so it's most likely of English origin. However, "vision" is of French origin, and "television" is a combination of "tele" and "vision", so it is most likely, in one way or another, a derivative of Old French, and thus Latin in origin.

I don't see how even the most arrogant, close-minded fools like Sander could say that English hasn't been heavily influenced by French.
mikea   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:47 am GMT
histoire-history interroger-interrogate hesiter-hesitate

lancer-launch litterature-literature litre-liter lettre-letter

other countries true were influenced by other countries too but hey english language was totally change dramatically you can't say that the change was minimum like spanish and arabic or french and german the french totally went further to change largely the language dont you think
LAA - Juaquin en la caja!   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:48 am GMT
Are you talking about the Caesarian and Gregorian calendars?
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:49 am GMT
<I don't know about "television" though. I don't believe it was invented by any Francophone, or in France, so it's most likely of English origin. However, "vision" is of French origin, and "television" is a combination of "tele" and "vision", so it is most likely, in one way or another, a derivative of Old French, and thus Latin in origin.>

I was thinking of the same exact thing!! Though understandable the word 'television' looks like French it was actually invented by a Anglo Canadian - yes America - a Canadian did invent your favourite pasttime.