I've got a got

todosmentira   Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
Catalan: un got = a glass.

Albanian: një gotë = a glass.

Any explanations? What's the common root? Could this be related to Goblet in English and Gota (a drop) in Spanish?
JR   Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
If you can link the word to Latin, then to Greek, the scenario seems a lot more plausible. Greek influenced many surrounding languages, it is certainly possible that this word ended up in these languages.

It seems possible to me that 'gota' could be the word for 'drop [of water]' in Latin, considering that French has 'goutte', Portuguese has 'gota', and Italian has 'goccia'.
greg   Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:20 pm GMT
todosmentira : An <goblet> vient de l'ancien français <gobelet> <goblet> <gubulet> <goubelet> qui lui serait dérivé de l'ancien occitan <gobel>.

Quant à Fr <goutte>, il provient de l'ancien français <goute> <goutte> <goucte> <gute> <gutte> <gote> <gotte> (etc) issu du latin <gutta>. Il en est sans doute de même de Es <gota> & It <gotta>.
Uriel   Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:07 am GMT
Ah! So that explains why the medical shorthand for drops (as in "Instill two drops in affected eye three times a day") is gtt.
Joey   Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 pm GMT
I some times get the feeling that with the passing of time words that come from the same origen sometimes tend to change a little but in a abstract way can be conected.

e.g

face(English)=cara(Portuguese)

face(Portuguese)=cheek(English)

There is a clear conection. The word in both cases can be conected to a part of the head.Time has made it mean something different.

In the same way 'got' (Catalan) and 'gotë' (Albanian) can be conected to 'Gota ' (Portuguese/Spanish) 'goutte' (French) and 'goccia' (Italian).

The enfisas having been placed on the content of the cup or the cup itself.
Uriel   Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 am GMT
If I remember correctly, the Latin word for "drops" is "guttae". Hence, "gtt." (Most medical shorthand is based on Latin.) So I imagine the singular form would be "gutta".
Guest   Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
Ok ok Zhiorgio, Giorgio...etc you win, what's the matter with your "NASTALGIA", please tell us. Are you promoting your website or somenthing ?