Changes that you would do to "improve" your langu

Aldvs   Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:01 pm GMT
As a native Spanish speaker and since I was a school kid, yet not so biased by the language, always there were some things that bothered me about it mainly in the writing way of it. The grammatical thing is too complex so I'd hardly think in some change.

1) I would eliminate the mute "u" in clusters "gue/gui": gerra-Gillermo then the "u" with dieresis wouldn't be necessary anymore: piguino-guiro.

2) I would change the letter "g" pronounced as "j" by a "j": jigante-jirasol-jirar

Sirs from RAEL (Real Academia Española de la Lengua) are you listening ? :-)
Presley.   Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 pm GMT
I personally like those things in Spanish. Especially the G's.

I'm not quite sure what it is - I just like how it's kinda unique. (Except the "gue/gui" thing.)
LAA   Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
I like that "g" feature too, as in "colegio". The "g" has this sharp, 'h' sound and sounds as if a great deal of aero energy is being released from your mouth.
LAA   Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
i like the slavic influence of romanian so sexy

FUCKERS
LAA   Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:17 pm GMT
The above post was not from me of course.
Aldvs   Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 am GMT
<<I like that "g" feature too, as in "colegio". The "g" has this sharp, 'h' sound and sounds as if a great deal of aero energy is being released from your mouth.>>

By the way If you have noted it, Spaniards tend to pronounce the "g" very strong, from the throat, but I was talking about the written way since "g" is one of the few Spanish inconsistencies. In words like "gitano" (gipsy) it is pronounced like the English "h" in "heat" while in words like "galleta" (cookie) it sounds like "g" in "gap". Letter "j" always sounds like "h" but "g" sometimes sounds like "g" and sometimes like "h".
LAA   Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 am GMT
Yes that is true. Unlike most Spanish, which is entirely phonetic and consistent, the "g" can be tricky. I have made that mistake many times. Most of the time, even if the word is new to me, I can guess how to pronounce it. Maybe in the recesses of my mind, I have heard it before or something. I remember my little cousin (who lives in Cabo San Lucas) would always slap me when I pronounced the "g" wrong. Often times I would use words which I had never heard spoken, and only seen in written forum, so I didn't know how to pronounce the "g" in that particular word.
Johnathan Mark   Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:50 am GMT
I would have English "regularize" its verb forms, but I guess that is just because I don't find that aspect of the English language (i.e., the differences in verb endings) very interesting.

If I were to change Spanish, I would change all j's and g's pronounced as [x] (this is the phoneme for the hard 'h' sound you all are speaking of) to the letter x, and replace the currently pronounced letter x (as in exito) with [cs]. This would eliminate the ambiguity of 'g', as well as make Mexico pronounced like its spelt (hey LAA--maybe we should change all [x] to [S] (sh) so Mexico will be pronounced "properly")
Aldvs   Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:24 am GMT
In Spanish it happens in the written way, sometimes children (and some adults) forget which letter to use "j" or "g". "girar" (to turn-correct) or "jirar" (incorrect).

<<Often times I would use words which I had never heard spoken, and only seen in ritten
forum, so I didn't know how to pronounce the "g" in that particular word. >>

Write down this on the palm of your hand and your problem is solved. :-)

1) All words which have anywhere "ga-go-gu" you must pronounce it like "g"

galeon-garganta-ganga
Gomez-gota-gorila
gusano-Gutierrez-guardia

2) In the syllables "gue-gui" and "güe-güi" will sound like "g".

Guerra-guillotina / güero-pingüino

3) With "ge-gi" pronounce it like "h"

gema-geriatra-agil
gigante-angina-angel
LAA   Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:43 am GMT
the "ll" and "y" can also be confusing for someone knew to Spanish as well.
Aldvs   Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:52 am GMT
Really it shouldn't be that way since both sounds are identical. The best feature of Spanish is its consistence when we talk about pronunciation and although you can hear many accents every letter has its own sound, with a few simple variants, but they are not a big problem.

This is all the spectrum of Spanish phonetics.

A
B = V
C = K = Q
CH
D
E
F
G (exception in ge-gi, sounds like Eng."h")
H (mute, it only sounds near to C)
I = Y (alone)
J
L
LL - Y (Y alone sounds like I)
M
N
Ñ
O
P
R
RR
S = Z (except in Spain where it sounds like Eng."th")
T
U
X (In the begining of a word it sounds like "S" in other place like "CS")
JGreco   Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 am GMT
But Aldus that is denying pronunciation of "ll", "y" that is the pronunciation in Argentina (sheismo) and the Caribbean pronunciation (either jeismo or zheismo). They are distinct ways of pronouncing those letters.
Aldvs   Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:23 am GMT
Those are only local accents so if you go to Argentina you don't have to say "sho me shamo Sheremy" you can say "yo me llamo Jeremy" (My name is Jeremy) without problem, everybody will understand you and nobody will make fun of you. In other words, nobody will teach you conscientiously to pronounce the "LL" or "Y" like "SH"
Aldvs   Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:28 am GMT
In fact there is no word in Spanish with the cluster "SH" except if it was "loaned" from other language.
greg   Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:49 am GMT
LAA : « (...) Spanish, which is entirely phonetic (...) ».
Tu connais une langue qui ne soit pas entièrement phonétique ?... Oui, bien sûr, la LSF par exemple.