should a male have a male or a female teacher?

mike   Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:57 am GMT
Chinese langauge does have a slight difference between male and female accent. Apart from the known distinct patterns that exist in almost all the languages, of the four tones in chinese, the first tone comes out at higher pitch level in female than in males -- This was taugh to me in my first lesson at the language center. If you spend a lot of time parroting your female teacher, you could possibly aquire than higher tone.

Same applies to japanese language.

Bye the way, if you listen to chinese opera, you will notice the very high pitch level of the female artist.That could give abroad outline that the chinese tends to prefer the high pitch level on femals...maybe that makes her more feminine!

And stop comparing between Man and Wamen, because neither will win...it is the longest war ever -- I do prefer a woman character though!
renate   Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 am GMT
What I think is it depends on your view
to tell the truth,i learnt English all form female teacher,but as i also listen radio ,watch tv,movies broadcasted by male.
so it is easy to think i don't possess a feminish tone
Actually,I personal think ,if u just don't listen to the teacher entirely,i mean using various ways,it really works for justifing your tone>
lu   Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:48 am GMT
"the first tone comes out at higher pitch level in female than in males "

female always have a higher pitch voice than male. i don't think they do that with intention.
a.p.a.m.   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
It doesn't matter whether the teacher is male or female. What matters is whether or not the teacher cares and is passionate about the subject that is being taught. I remember my high school Spanish teacher, Senora Moran. She had a true love of the Spanish language and Spanish culture. I could tell. Students can tell if their teachers care or not. I understand that shortly after I graduated high school, Senora Moran quit teaching and moved to the Galicia region of Northwestern Spain.
Geoff_One   Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am GMT
There is at least one more choice - You can be your own teacher.
mike   Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:50 am GMT
<<There is at least one more choice - You can be your own teacher. <<

well, it seems I will have to do so this time in my greman classes. My teacher is chinese; the only option for me being in China. I can regognize the difference between the way he speaks german and the the way natives speak it, especially when he says the "r".

Eventhough I am studying german as a hoppy, but i am afraid it is a mistake to start it here in China...But as Gerff-Ons said, I will have to be my own teacher and block my ears whenever my teacher speaks up!
mike   Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:01 pm GMT
my mistakes in the above post...or let's say the ones "I" discovered!

regognize - recognize
Hoppy - Hobby
Robin   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:20 am GMT
Hi, I don't usually enter this side of the Forum. I was just thinking about an idiomatic expression in English.

"They have got you by the 'short and curlies'."

Unfortunately in our modern age, with our modern woman, it really would not be surprising to hear a woman use such an expression. But I would cringe, in the same way, as when I hear a woman say that she is 'knackered'.

Noun. Basically the term refers to pubic hairs, however it is used figuratively in having got someone by the short and curlies - having complete power over someone. Orig military use. [1930s]