Cutest Accent Ever

Peter   Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:40 pm GMT
Have look at this video by a British girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHpZ-szJOew

I think her accent is very cute, very pleasant and funny to listen to. What do you think?
Peter   Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
Actually, this video might be better to listen to her accent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHpZ-szJOew
Nightingale   Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:54 pm GMT
The way she says "milk" is funny... like "mill" almost. Where did the "K" go? =p

The piano playing... hahaha, *cringe*.

Oh well, her accent beats my Singaporean one leh.
I'm an American...   Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
..... who has just come to live in England. In my 3 days at work so far, I have made the following mistakes:

I mistook a Canadian for a South African
I mistook a South African for an Australian
I mistook an Essex person for an Australian
I then mistook a Birmingham person for an Australian
I mistook a Welsh person for an Irishman
I then mistook an Indian for a Welsh person
But worst of all...I mistook a New Yorker for an English person.

I officially have no ability to recognize accents anymore as it's so darned confusing in this country. It's really wierding me out being in a work environment and hearing all these accents here in England. It's really strange what bothers you while you are adjusting to a new environment. But yesterday when I got home, I was just really upset. I think getting out of my comfy cocoon of my house has just hit me that I'm really and truly living in another country. It's freaking me out.
Dan   Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
@Nightingale: I think she said "meal", not "milk"!
Her accent and her gestures are very cute.... that's probably why she's a popular channel on youtube.

It's a Southern English accent, correct?
Nightingale   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Let's wait for a British person to tell us whether the girl's trying to say "meal" or "milk" =p

To "I'm an American"...
Why do new environments bother you? All places are different, and that's what makes them unique! Imagine what a boring world this would be if every city were the same.
Deborah   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 am GMT
Her American pronunciation of "awesome" was very good (and very cute).
*yawn*   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:44 am GMT
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 am GMT
Her accent reminds me of that lead actress in the Harry Potter movie.. can't remember her name
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:45 am GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjhRuhFnFt0&mode=related&search=

Here is a reply from a couple from the USA repeating the words that appeared in the first video.
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 am GMT
Nightingale   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 pm GMT
"Her accent reminds me of that lead actress in the Harry Potter movie.. can't remember her name"

Emma Watson who plays Hermione Granger? Surely Hermione's/Emma's accent is posher than that girl's!
Damian in London E16   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
I checked out Mishy's profile on MySpace and saw that she comes from Ramsgate in Kent, England...that's a seaside town on the coastal strip in the extreme South East of England, just up along the coast from Dover....literally within sight of the French coast (on a clear day).

As you can see she's of Asian extraction but my guess is that she's lived in Ramsgate all her life and she has the typical accent of that part of the country...standard Southern English...with just a wee tad of Estuary now and again if you listen carefully.

It's also just possible to detect her Asian origins in the way she enunciates some of her words, especially at the beginning of her audio run. I've noticed the same thing with Asians generally, even if they've never been outside of the UK in their lives. This observation comes of me dropping into Asian takeaways on a regular basis! They have their appropriate local British accents, yet still have this touch of Asian influence in their speech, especially when it comes to certain sounds, more particularly at the end of words. It's quite difficult to explain exactly what I mean in here, but Mishy does display this tendency in her speech, even though it's quite slight.

The word she used was definitely "meal" and not "milk". She pronounced "meal" in the typical Southern English accent of younger people especially....say under 35 or so. The "L" sound is totally missing....that's a characteristic of both London and Southern English English when words like "meal" are pronounced. It sounds like this: "mee-oo"...but make the two vowel sounds run into each other very quickly, like a diphthong, but with absolutely no "L" sound at the end. Just listen again to how Mishy says the word "meal"....no L.

Her "meal" was taken for "milk" by some people listening to her in here. I can see why as the same principle applies....no "L" sound, and the rough equivalent pronunciation of "milk" would be "mi-wk".

This is all so typical of Southern English English, including London where the Cockney speech follows similar patterns, but here the letter "T" also magically disappears, as in general Estuary.

Aye...she's a sweet lassie, nae dout about that. (no...I haven't missed out the b!) :-)
Damian in London E16   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
Och, meant to ask: just why DO Americans use the word "AAH-SUM!" so much? I've heard them say it loads of times as they order their "HAT DAHGS!" :-)
Nightingale   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:52 pm GMT
"Meal" it is then!! =p

I also notice the slight Asian touch at the beginning of the video. Actually, her pronunciation of *individual* words is similar to mine (I'm Asian too), but her overall intonation and rhythm is British while mine is 100% Asian. Haha!