texan? accent

Kamila   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:43 pm GMT
Hi everybody!

I was recently watching "Lost" (the tv series) where Sawyer's accent is completely incomprehesible for me but I enjoy listening to him anyway. When he says "how do you do" it sounds like "how dee doo dee?". How would you spell it to so that it matches his pronunciation (I want to make a present for a friend of mine- a T-shirt with this inscription but I'm not sure how to write it)
Mandy Moore   Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:35 pm GMT
Stick to Justin Timberlake and his Southern accent ;)
Deborah   Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:23 pm GMT
"Howdy Doody" was the name of a marionette who was the star of a very popular American children's TV program from the late 1940s through the 1950s, "The Howdy Doody Show". I've always assumed the name was inspired by "Howdy do", which is the way "How do you do" was pronounced by some people in the Southern US. I doubt anyone says it now, however.
Deborah   Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
Here's link to the Howdy Doody website:

http://www.howdydoodytime.com/

I forgot to say that some people do still say "Howdy", if not "Howdy do".
Deborah   Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 pm GMT
And I also forgot that saying "Howdy Doody" for "How do you do" is just something that people say to be silly.
Uriel   Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am GMT
I have a hard time picturing anyone from Texas saying "How do you do?"
Deborah   Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
Yes, Texas is one of those places where you hear people say "Howdy".

Before I went to college in North Carolina in 1968, my mother, who spent the first 10 or so years of her life in Texas, told me about an expression of amazement that she remembered from her childhood: "Boy, howdy!" It seemed too contrived to be real, to me, but I actually had a friend in college who said it. I'm sure it has died out by now (wishful thinking).
William   Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:09 am GMT
Shoot, I say "Howdy Fellas" all the time. I never really noticed it until I read these posts. I've also noticed that some people think that when we in Texas say "night" it sounds like "naht". Because I'm from Texas when I read those two words I here it a little differently. I here "night" and "nat" when I read "night" and "naht". Can somebody explain a little better what you mean by "naht". Do ya mean "nawt".

Deborah,

"Boy Howdy" is alive and well down here.
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:18 am GMT
here ---> hear... I am sure the quality of education at local schools is up to the standard in Texas.
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 am GMT
If you know X-SAMPA, what they are saying is that instead of saying "night" as /naIt/, you say /na:t/.