Why not creating "Americanish"?

Johnathan Mark   Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:48 am GMT
"dialects are speech varities spoken by individuals which happen to be linked to a particular location and accents are just how individuals subjectively perceive the sound of others individuals' speech."

I agree with Travis, although the variety can also be linked to a certain c. This is what the dictionary says dialect means. When arguing about terms, it is advisable to accept and understand the definitions handed down by authorities rather than create your own, so that one's energy can be directed on the actual topic of interest and not on defining terms that have already been defined.

"e.g. your assertion that AAVE is "incorrect", for instance"

AAVE follows its own set of rules, that often vary from General American. For example, the plural form is often the same as the singular, and it has a compound habitual tense formed by "be" + gerund that General American doesn't have. Saying it is incorrect is an unlinguistic position. It is true that those dominant in society speak a different dialect, and many of these consider AAVE incorrect and discriminate against those that speak it, but that is irrelevant.
Travis   Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:58 am GMT
>>I agree with Travis, although the variety can also be linked to a certain c. This is what the dictionary says dialect means. When arguing about terms, it is advisable to accept and understand the definitions handed down by authorities rather than create your own, so that one's energy can be directed on the actual topic of interest and not on defining terms that have already been defined.<<

Note that most dictionaries that the average person comes into contact with are simply references to laypersons and are not intended to be accurate sources of information on the usage of specialized terms in technical contexts. The average person may very well use the term "dialect" differently from the average linguist, but what matters here is how linguists, not laypersons, use the term "dialect".
Johnathan MArk   Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:00 am GMT
"although the variety can also be linked to a certain c"

can also be linked to a certain socio-economic group, was what I meant to write.
n8starr   Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
Like so many have said already, America doesnt have dialects, its just different words are used in different places of the country and different accents exist, but the basic grammar structure doesnt change. Japan, for example, does have dialects, because the conguation of verbs completely changes, and even intonation changes too. You basically have to "re-learn" the language to be able to communicate with people from a different region. In America, anywhere you go, you will still be able to communicate with anyone, as long as they speak english. The same clerk you asked in a department store in Montana will understand you just as well as a travel agent in Florida...

And yes i dont like foreigners trying to suggest we change our language just so they can learn it easier.... Like most basic things you learn in school, you dont question it, you just learn it and remember it as fact. Who would question 2 x 2 and say it is 6? It's essentialy the same with English spelling...that's just how it is.
dude   Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
hey, could someone tell me what's the difference with the new yorker accent? I mean, what's the new yorker accent? I just find them to speak pretty normal... thanks