Can't find a word, help.

Ant_222   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
Hello everybody!

This time my problem is to find an adjective that, applied to the word «road», would mean a road that is in bad condition, like it hasn't been maintained for a long time and many heavy trucks and even tracked vehicles have been driving by it every day.

That's it, in one sentence.

Thanks in advance.
zxczxc   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
There isn't one. All I can think of is that the road has many potholes. So maybe a potholed road... who knows.
Ant_222   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:23 pm GMT
One more word English is missing ;)

Are you sure?
Many thanks then... Will come back tomorrow to see if somebody has posted a suggestion. Bye.
Rick   Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:30 am GMT
You may say that it is a "worn road", meaning that road has been used a lot and is showing signs of damage.
Ant_222   Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:28 am GMT
Thank you very much, guys!
Ant_222   Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:01 am GMT
One more question: I am right in thinking that "crumbling road" relates only to a road with hard surface (asphalt,...)?
Uriel   Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:31 pm GMT
Dirt roads will often develop speed-bump like ripples over time, necessitating periodic grading to smooth them back out; we call those "washboard roads" But you're right, a dirt road would not "crumble"; that only applies to hard-surfaced roads.

You can also say that roads are all torn up -- similar to worn out. If the damage is water-based, you can call them washed-out.
Ant_222   Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
Ok, thanks.
Johnathan Mark   Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
What about a "rough road"?
Ant_222   Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:56 pm GMT
Hi, Johnathan.

I think, it's ok except it doesn't stress that the road _has been made_ such through intesive use and lack of maintance. The word should emphasize deterioration of age.

Is it correct to say "deterioration of age"?
Uriel   Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:05 am GMT
A more common term for the deterioration that comes with age ("OF" sounds weird to me) is "wear and tear".

You can also say "deterioration DUE TO age".

By the way, the word "deteriorate" already has the passage of time implicit in its meaning.

And it's "inteNsive" and "maintEnance".

And I would say "has been made SO" or "has been made THAT WAY" rather than "has been made SUCH".
Ant_222   Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:58 pm GMT
Thanks, Uriel.
I thought of it as being like "death _of_ hunger"...
Uriel   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:15 am GMT
That's what makes English fun! ;p