similarities between spanish and portuguese

JGreco   Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:08 am GMT
"««the Br.Portuguese word "assistir" literally meaning to watch as in watching television.»»

I do not know what you mean by BrPortuguese word. A word only used in Brazil?

It is also European Portuguese and African Portuguese. " ver ou assistir a um programa de televisão”."

My question was wether there was a spanish equivalent to "assistir" because the only meaning I could get for the word assistir in spanish is to "assist" someone.

"««Also I noticed that in Portuguese they use "banana" but in Castellano (american) the word "guineo" is used instead.»»

I read banana is an african word. Banana is also used by Castilian speakers:

"hay varios frutales llamados también bananos, y su fruto, la banana:"
[wikipedia]"

My question was wether there was the word "guineo" for Banana ever used in Portuguese or is this words unique to spanish only.
Gringo   Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 am GMT
JGreco

Thanks for clarifying.

««My question was wether there was a spanish equivalent to "assistir" because the only meaning I could get for the word assistir in spanish is to "assist" someone. »»

"Assistir" has more than one meaning also in Castilian:

"Asistir a programas de television"

"Qué le gusta asistir en la televisión?"

««My question was wether there was the word "guineo" for Banana ever used in Portuguese or is this words unique to spanish only. »»

It is unique. A Portuguese speaker would think you were refering to someone from Guinea, or you moved away suddenly ( "guinar").
JGreco   Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
so "asistir" in spanish can almost have the same meaning as "assistir" in Portuguese if you think about it. Thank you for that information Gringo.