Norwegian-Swedish-Danish: The Same

Paul from Denmark   Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
Ja det ville jeg også vide :P

Uhm jeg har et spørgsmål.... er det Norsk eller Dansk du skriver... eller begge dele?.. for du er jo fra Norge ikk?...

For min vinkel er det Dansk... men ku godt være norsk samtidig?.. :P
Fredrik fra Norge   Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:57 pm GMT
Det siste jeg skrev var på dansk!
Nå skriver jeg på norsk!
äppäsvenne   Thu May 03, 2007 11:45 am GMT
when was the last time there was a spelling reform for nynorsk?
the last official one for swedish was in 1906 i think

plus an unofficial one in the 1950's when people stopped using the verb-plurals

i think i saw the nynorsk having all three -er -ar -or in einar haugens "the scandinavian languages" but that's from the seventies so i guess it must have changed since then
guest   Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 pm GMT
<<Is it possible that this -or ending is a direct descendant of -ur? I think that -ur is still used in Icelandic today. >>

I'm not Frederick, but I believe the Icelandic -ur ending is the Masculine singlular strong declension ending inherited from Old Norse -r (cf OldEng 'dream'; ON 'draumr'; Icelandic 'draumur') similar and distantly related to Latin -us
Adam   Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
"I think many Asian don't know this point.
Does that mean that we just need one language translator to trans the books from the three countries?

By the way, what abt finnic?"

Here are examples of Why Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are similar but Finnish is completely different in every way......

Danish VS Norwegian VS Swedish VS Finnish

Danish

Danish is a North Germanic language.
As in nearly all Indo-European languages (except English), Danish has grammatical gender. Standard Danish nouns fall into two grammatical genders: common and neuter
The infinitive forms of Danish verbs end in a vowel, which in almost all cases is the letter e.
Verbs are conjugated according to tense, but do not vary according to person or number.
The indefinite article is "en" for common nouns and "et" for neuter nouns.
Definite articles are added onto the END of nouns (an enclitic article). Common nouns add "en" and neuter add "et".

e.g. en mand (a man)/ manden (the man)
et hus (a house)/ huset (the house)

In the plural, the definite article is -(e)(r)ne, and the indefinite article is -e(r).

The enclitic article is NOT used when an adjective is added to the noun; here the demonstrative pronoun (den/det) is used instead: den store mand "the big man", det store hus (the big house).

"Alle mennesker er født frie og lige i værdighed og rettigheder. De er udstyret med fornuft og samvittighed, og de bør handle mod hverandre i en broderskabets ånd."

[[All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.]]

(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

Norwegian

Norwegian is a North Germanic language.
There are two official forms of written Norwegian — Bokmål (literally "book language") and Nynorsk (literally "new Norwegian").
Norwegian nouns are inflected or declined in definiteness (indefinite/definite) and number (singular/plural). In some dialects, definite nouns are furthermore declined in case (nominative/dative).
Norwegian has three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine and neuter.
The indefinite article is "en" for masculine, "ei" or "en" for feminine and "et" for neuter.
Like Danish, the definite article is added to the end of a noun: "en" for masculine, "a" or "en" and "et" for neuter.
"Er" is often added to nouns for the plural. The plural definite article is usually "ene".

e.g. masculine
en gutt (a boy), gutten (the boy), gutter (the boys), guttene (the boys).

feminine
ei/en dør (a door), døra/døren (the door), dører (doors), dørene (the doors).

Jeg snakker bare litt norsk. I only speak a little Norwegian.
Hva heter du? What is your name?
Jeg heter Kari. My name is Kari.
Hvordan har du det? How are you?
Takk, jeg har det bra. I'm fine, thank you.
Det er så hyggelig å treffe deg. I am very glad to meet you.
Jeg forstår ikke. I don't understand.

Swedish

Swedish is a North germanic language.
Its nouns have two genders: common and neuter.
Swedish nouns and adjectives are declined in two genders as well as number.
Its indefinite articles are "en" for common nouns and "ett" for neuter."
Its definite articles are "-n" for common and "-t" for neuter.

e.g.
common
en fisk (a fish), fisken (the fish)

neuter
ett hus (a house), huset (the house).

Var kan jag hitta någon som talar engelska? Where can I find someone who speaks English.
Jag talar bara litet svenska.I only speak a little Swedish.
Hur mår du? How are you?
Allt väl? Is everything okay?
Bara bra, tack. I'm fine, thank you.
Vad trevligt att träffas.I'm very glad to meet you.

Finnish

Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language. It is NOT an Indo-European language. It's also one of the most beautiful European languages.
It's closest relatives are Estonian and Hungarian and is completely unrelated to Norwegian, Danish and Swedish.
It does not have grammatical gender and has no definite or indefinite article.
It is an agglutinative and has a part of grammar called "vowel harmony".
Its grammar is very complicated. For example, it has FIFTEEN cases. It's therefore an extremely difficult language to learn.
Due to its agglutination it employs many endings to words depending on what you are talking

e.g.

-ja/jä : agent (one who does something) (e. g. lukea "to read" → lukija "reader")

-lainen/läinen: inhabitant of (either noun or adjective). Englanti "England" → englantilainen "English person or thing"; Helsinki → helsinkiläinen "person from Helsinki".

-sto/stö: collection of. For example: kirja "a book" → kirjasto "a library"; laiva "a ship" → laivasto "navy, fleet".

-uri/yri: an agent or instrument (kaivaa "to dig" → kaivuri "a digging machine"; laiva "a ship" → laivuri "shipper, shipmaster").

-llinen: having (the quality of) something (lapsi "a child" → lapsellinen "childish"; kauppa "a shop, commerce" → kaupallinen "commercial").
----------------------------

Poika leikkaa leipää linkkuveitsellä - The boy is cutting his head with a pocket knife.

Tiina osti kaksikymmentä keltaista ja punaista ruusua - Tiina bought twenty yellow and red roses.

Onnettomuus ei olisi voinut pahemmalla hetkellä sattua - The accident couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Oletko ennen syönyt keitettyä tai paistettua lanttua? - Have you eaten cooked or fried turnip before?

Pikku vesselit lupasivat olla loiskuttelematta enempää vettä - little rascals promised not to splash any more water.

Kolmelle teistä kerron sen uudestaan, mutta te kaksi ensimmäistä kuulitte jo ensimmäisellä kerralla - To the three of you I will tell it again, but you first two heard it already the first time.
Guest   Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
very interesting thread...
K. T.   Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:38 pm GMT
Yes, dagnab it, it is interesting. This is the thread that sucked me into Antimoon, I think. If I learn a Scandanavian language, it will be Norwegian-hot potato or not! I'll take the understanding of 3 languages for the price of one.
K. T.   Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
"Scandinavian" oops!
Guest   Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 am GMT
Good-bye Antimoon!
K. T.   Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:19 am GMT
Thank-you for deleting the offensive post instead of the whole thread. I mean that sincerely.