How to speak more interestingly in englsih?

Ramzi   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:15 am GMT
Hello everyone. I am from Jordan, and this is the first time for me to post here. I find this forum very good and can give a chance to learn new things in English, as well to have a glimpse on other cultures.

My English level is excellent if I want to talk about industry, but it sucks when it comes to the daily simple language. I can write pages about a machine, but I can’t produce more than a few simple sentences if somebody asked me, for example: “what the food looks like in Jordan”. I don’t know why that is, but sure there should be ways to improve it. The interesting thing is that when I use my own language, I know how to draw the attention and how to make a conversation sounds more interesting with sense of humor-- if needed, than if I use a foreign language even though I speak it fluently which usually comes out from me dull and boring. My conclusion was that my English is good at higher level, but bad and boring at lower level. And without any doubt, to have the excitement part while talking, you have to insert some words that natives are used to say, but are not taught at schools

So I was hoping to read more and see how others describe things, cities…or whatever comes in mind in a simple interesting way!. And the first thing comes in my mind now is about Amsterdam. I am going there for a vacation, so just to ask in a simple form: how was Amsterdam to those who visited it?
me   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:54 am GMT
just google up on Amsterdam and you'll get heaps of 'em info
Uriel   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:06 am GMT
Amsterdam is very pretty, Ramzi. Picturesque canals, good museums. (I went with my dad, so I couldn't get too wild and crazy.)

I don't think you need to use a lot of (or any) slang to convey a sense of humor. Just be yourself, and say it the way you would say it in your own language.
Ramzi   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:39 am GMT
Picturesque Canals...new word! Thanks Uriel. I even heard Amsterdam has more canals than in Venice.

(I went with my dad, so I couldn't get too wild and crazy.) sounds you should go there again ;) I am going their with my sister as well, so I don’t know how wild and crazy she will allow us to be.

Uriel...Is this an english Name?
Uriel   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:45 am GMT
Uriel is a fake name, But I believe it's Hebrew (old testament archangel).
Guest   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 am GMT
このスレは面白い。英語が上手だ。
me   Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Uriel,
are you a male or female?
just curious.
the historian   Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
<<Uriel is a fake name, But I believe it's Hebrew (old testament archangel).>>

Try this apporach next time; "Uriel is my pseudonym, I believe it is a Hebrew name"

<<Uriel,
are you a male or female?>>

Given the choice of name (pseudonym) I assume that Uriel is a he.
Deborah   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
Uriel, you sly minx! I was sure when I met you that you were a woman, but now I'm not so sure.
Guest   Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:06 am GMT
Hi, friends my name is sandeep, I am from India. I hope that you all friends have heared about India. I have started learning english few month ago and now i have improved my self a lot. when i came to this site,i found it mostuseable for learning english through you guys.I allways think that i would have a lovely friend that would be in other country and will tell me about his countri his family and countries culture.
please is there any body who would tell me that how to avoid hesitation about english speaking.

"would any body like to know about India land of mystery".

"what about your country"
Tiffany   Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:56 am GMT
Uriel, the sly minx that she is, is definitely a woman.
Uriel   Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 am GMT
Well, let me check again ... yup, I'm an innie, not an outie. But if you would prefer a signed affadavit from a qualified urologist ... well, he'd better be cute, and bring flowers!
Deborah   Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
<< yup, I'm an innie, not an outie. >>

Uriel, try this approach next time: "My navel does not protrude."

So that's how you tell, eh? What does that say about me? Way back when I was a lean, mean dancing machine, I was almost an outie -- an in-betweenie, I guess.
Stan   Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:31 pm GMT
Uriel means "Flame of God" in Standard Hebrew, but in post-Exilic Rabbinic tradition, and in Christianity, Uriel is one of the archangels. Uriel is the cherub who "stands at the Gate of Eden with a fiery sword," or as the angel who "watches over thunder and terror." Certainly a male.

Uriel a masculine name.

"Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to HIM:..." - Enoch 1917 R. H. Charles (1 Enoch 10:1).

But the Uriel of antimoon is amazingly a "she."

<< How to speak more interestingly in englsih? >>

A strange inquiry I must say, it depends a lot on who you ask the question, different people have different requirements for what they would consider as "interesting."
Damian in London   Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:03 pm GMT
You can't really contrive an "interesting" conversation......it just sort of comes spontaneously and naturally without any scientific pre-planning. You have all the thought processes in your head and basically know what you're going to chat about initially (I say chat rather than talk because it's less formal and stiff) and, importantly, you're genuinely interested in the person/people you're with then you're there on you're way, pal. Everything else will just flow along all easy peasy lemon squeezy.

You're "English level" may well be excellent but forget about textbooks and industrial schedules and mega boring forward planning programs and all that crap - just relax and use your "excellent English level" to chat about much more leisurely topics. Of course it depends on the company you're hanging out with....

Amsterdam.....you can't go wrong, pal. Cool city - loads going on. Whatever your interests, you'll be catered for in Amsterdam......the city caters for just about everybody! :-) Of course it has canals all over the place, and you can travel along them in those great canal boats the name of which I can't remember off-hand....do as suggested to you and look it all up on the net. I've no idea if Dam has more canals than Venice....again look it up. One thing I can tell you for sure, and this will surprise you, but Birmingham actually has more canals within its bounds than does Venice.....but no gondolas...or a Bridge of Sighs. :-)

Language: You won't need to do a crash course in Dutch - everybody but everybody in the Netherlands speaks English....often better than they do in Birmingham.