The desire to think one's own language is difficult

Aquatar   Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:22 pm GMT
It's clear from reading language forums, that most people would like to think that their own language is particularly difficult when compared to other languages, and that they take pride if it is considered to be so internationally. However, it does not seem to be the case that people take just as much pride in having learnt a foreign language that is deemed difficult. Do others think this is true. And if so, why do people take more pride if their own language is considered difficult (a language which really they had to put little effort into learning) than a foreign language which they have learnt (which obviously required a great deal of effort).

From my own perspective, although I feel quite proud to have (for the most part) got my head round German's complicated grammar, I'm sure that I would feel even more proud if my own language, English, was considered to be really hard (and I have in fact tried to persuade people that it is on these boards lol). Is it something to do with thinking that something which is very difficult for others to understand and acquire, just comes naturally to you? Or is it something to do with thinking that the mindset that comes with your language is somehow impenetrable to others?
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
Interesting question, Aquatar!
>>Is it something to do with thinking that something which is very difficult for others to understand and acquire, just comes naturally to you?>>
LOL, this must be for the really stupid!!!

I think it perhaps has to do with people thinking that difficult languages are more superior, more archaïc, examplified by Latin and Icelandic.
And perhaps the kind of people who learn difficult languages are very sympathetic, modest, non-bragging fellows :-))
Aldvs   Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
That's true but sometimes the thing is interpreted in inverse way, there are people who don't like to have their language labeled as TOO difficult because they think that everybody could not have interest in it.
Guest   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 pm GMT
Fredrik

>>I think it perhaps has to do with people thinking that difficult languages are more superior, more archaïc, examplified by Latin and Icelandic<<

Yes, I think that has something to do with it, but what is the implication of this then? That your own mindset or way of viewing the world is somehow superior or more complex if your native language is 'difficult'?

>>And perhaps the kind of people who learn difficult languages are very sympathetic, modest, non-bragging fellows :-)) <<

Well yes, I'd like to think so since German seems to be considered reasonably hard lol.
Pabz   Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
For me it's the opposite, I'd prefer to consider my language easy, because I would want my own language to be a "good" language and a good language would be one that's efficient and easy to learn and use. (Of course, if you go by these standards, English is just partially good... )

And, I'd be more proud of learning something that's harder.
Pires   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
Portuguese is the most difficult language in the world, for us.
We never seem to learn it in the right way. VIVENDO E APRENDENDO

Greetz from Rio
Viri Amaoro   Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
Para nós quem, cara-pálida?...
Guest   Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:17 am GMT
It makes me laugh when you get people on here saying how easy English is, yet their posts are choc-full of errors. If English is so easy, then why do they make so many mistakes.