A Pronunciation Problem

Adair   Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:08 pm GMT
There is a pronunciation problem cufusing me always recently.

We know that m pronounces [m] and n pronounces [n].
When m or n is between the vowels in a word ,for example, amuse,money,sunny and so on.
The problem is in such situation,does [m] or [n] belong to the back vowel to form a syllable , or belong to both front vowel and back vowel to form two syllables? For example ,the word "money" ,it pronounces ['mon ni] or ['mo ni]????????As we know the pronucition of [mon] and that of [mo] are different!

Thanks.
zxczxc   Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:11 pm GMT
Money = "mun-ee" (I don't know IPA)
zxczxc   Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:12 pm GMT
Actually, it could equally be muh-nee. Probably more so actually. It doesn't really sound different to my ears.
Adair   Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
Thank you,zxczxc.
mun-ee means mun-nee?
muh-nee means mu-nee?
zxczxc   Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
Adair, the "n" sound is only once, so not "mun-nee"... it sounds a bit retarded.
Gabriel   Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:47 pm GMT
It is rather fortunate that human knowledge is as diverse as it is deep. Every time someone tries to venture into previously unexplored terrain, someone else is going to claim that doing so amounts to "splitting hairs" or "dancing on the head of a pin" and will cheerfully dismiss the whole thing as a waste of time. Since we stubbornly don't listen to such claims, we have mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy, and a million other fields of knowledge I'm sure someone at some point considered a waste of time.
Adair   Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
Brennus:
Ha..I am dancing on the head of a pin,I admit.

Perhaps I want to find a rule,a standard of the pronunciation.
I will try not to be fussy in some problems...

Thanks, Bernnus,for the suggestion and the expressions of fussiness that i didn't know.

zxczxc:
Thank you for your answers.
Adair   Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 pm GMT
Gabriel,
I very agree with you.
Just because of the "splitting hairs" or "dancing on the head of a pin", the science developes.But ,not every thing is science.

This pronunciation problem that I has been thinking over for a long time.Sometimes I think I am fussy because language is not science for me. But sometimes I really want to have a answer.Now,I just want to take it easy.
Guest   Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:50 am GMT
It's pronounced [mVni] not [moni]. [mV] is the first syllable; [ni] is the second.
Lazar   Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:30 am GMT
As Guest says, "money" is pronounced ["mVni].

<<The problem is in such situation,does [m] or [n] belong to the back vowel to form a syllable, or belong to both front vowel and back vowel to form two syllables?>>

It's debatable whether the [n] in "money" belongs to the first syllable or the second - I've seen dictionaries break it down variously into ["mV.ni] and ["mVn.i]. Myself, I think I would prefer the latter choice: ["mV.ni].

<<For example, the word "money", it pronounces ['mon ni] or ['mo ni]????????>>

Hmm, I think you may be confused here. You see, English generally doesn't have geminated (doubled) consonants; words like "sunny", "funny", and "money" are all pronounced with a simple [n] (for example, ["sVni], regardless of whether they're spelled with a single or a double consonant.

The fact that "money" ["mVni] doesn't rhyme with, say, "Coney" ["k_hoUni], is simply a result of the wacky nature of English spelling. You just have to learn the pronunciation of every word individually, and accept that English has no hard and fast orthographical rules.
Lazar   Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:25 am GMT
Minor correction: The word "latter" should be "former" in my previous post.
Adair   Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:11 am GMT
Thank you .
I think I know what should do.
Robin   Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am GMT
Mon-ey

Co-ney

Coney is rather an unusual word, and is used in 'Coney Island' a district of New York.

I just found out that a Coney: is a North American animal

A rock badger, a small rabbit sized animal with feet like a hyppopotamus.