What 'poison ivy' indicates in Western Culture?

Steffens Ma   Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:03 am GMT
Does 'poison ivy' stand for something attractive but evil? Is it from any story in Bible or something? Please, explain for me. Thx.
George   Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:06 am GMT
I doubt that there would be any biblical reference to poison ivy since the plant is native to North America and some parts of East Asia.

As for using "poison ivy" as a term to describe something attractive but evil -- outside of movies and songs (e.g. the Rolling Stones), I don't think that usage is very common. However, the reference is pretty obvious. Poison ivy plants look relatively harmless, resembling the ornamental Virginia creeper, but one touch and you've got yourself a pretty serious rash.
Uriel   Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:07 am GMT
Poison oak, poison sumac, and poison ivy are all native American plants of the Rhus family whose leaves are covered with a highly irritating oil that causes very painful rashes and blisters if you come into contact with them. Their leaves superficially resemble those of the true oaks, sumacs, and ivies, but they can be distinguished from those other plants by their habit of growing their leaves in clusters of three -- hence the warning rhyme: "Leaves of three, let it be."

Why you don't want to touch poison ivy:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/pictures22/dermnet/contact_dermatitis_04rhus050504.jpg

OW!!!!

Believe me, I've had poison oak welts all over my face, and I looked like a burn victim until the prednisone took effect!