Harry Potter and other books - Americanized!

London in Damian N2   Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
Guest:

So you spotted my deliberate mistake...I was just testing! Ha! :-) No, it was a typo on my part and a stupid one at that. Aye...it's deffo "licence" over here in Britland. "We go down the off licence for cans/bottles late at night when we fancy an in-house party".....we're fortunate in having one fairly close by to our place here, and a Waitrose further on along the same road with a huge off licence.

Actually my Collins dictionary has this definition of "off licence":
"A shop, or a counter in a pub or hotel where alcoholic drinks are sold for consumption elsewhere" ie off the premises. The US equivalents are "package store, liquor store". I've never heard of the former.

The UK noun is "licence" of course, and the verb "license" as you say. License does for both in the US.

***Indeed and sadly the British are also depried of bar fridges to keep the beers cool. ;)***

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! :-) Bars do have fridges, loads of the things for keeping loads of stuff cold, or at least cool as you used that word. But BEER? Are you mad??? This is Britain! We've never heard of cold beer! Or at least we've heard of it but despise it as something only foreigners crave and most foreigners are seen as weird eccentrics with weird eccentric habits. :-) Only jesting.... Nah....we've no call for cold beer among us Brits......if it's cold the flavour is gone...impaired, ruined...yuk! If it's warm you can still taste the hops and savour the flavour, full bodied and ethereal and puts hairs on your chest. Mmmmm...now I'm seriously considering nipping down to the Duke of Wellington for a pint...nope, I'll resist the tempation as I've vowed to stay in tonight and save a penny or two.

Cold beer? Och.....we don't have the regular climate for it....as I say, this is Britain.
a pint   Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
<<if it's cold the flavour is gone>>

Only if it is a dark coloured beer :)

light coloured beer should be served at cellar temperature (gives the best taste). Dark coloured beer should be served at room temperature "warm". (gives the best taste)
Enrique Reilly   Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
Hi to all,

I noticed your forum with interest, and I decided to write to you to see if anyone would be interested to read six chapters of my new children's adventure novel (free of charge) to see whether it is of interest to them before I go down the route of trying to getting it published.

If any pupils are Harry Potter fans, then hopefully my book will appeal to them. The book is targeted at 11 year olds and up, but I am sure that there will be a few astute 9 to 10-year-olds that may find it interesting.

The website is very simple, professional and interesting:

The chapters are released in tranches of two.

The first two chapters are completely free without any registration.

To access the second two chapters, a simple username and password registration is required.

To access the final two chapters, a questionnaire, which the reader is automatically directed to on the laptop computer at the end of chapter four.

The questionnaire is unique and educational, because the reader can influence the author to change their writing style, or in some cases the storyline, should the majority of readers find parts of the book boring. It also gives them a chance to check the grammar and comment etc..

My website does not allow any direct contact between the author and the reader. All coummication should be in the form of feedback by completing the questionnaire.

As this is my first novel, I do know that I am a very good storyteller, but I need some help from you and your pupils to see if I am a good writer.

My website address is www. joshslug.com.

As I am to get a good cross section of adults and children in any English speaking country to evaluate my work.

Have a look at the website, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Kind regards

Enrique Reilly
Author
Uriel   Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:25 pm GMT
Liquor store is much more common than package store in the US. Package store is restricted to certain locations. But very few people would actually say they were going to the store to buy liquor -- they would be more specific.
Mel   Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:30 pm GMT
As a Briton, I'd be disgusted if an American book I bought was 'translated' into British terminology. I'd take it as a sign of publishers assuming readers were stupid and needed books dumbed down for them.

Changing spellings of words is understandable but there is no need to change slang words. Growing up, I loved reading American books full of Americanisms as it gave me a feel of the country and culture. American children are being denied that chance to learn about other cultures thanks to these publishers (who really should be ashamed considering they are mutilating works of literature, a field that should be nourishing the mind).
Guest   Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:28 am GMT
American children are being denied that chance to learn about other cultures = American children are not made aware that other cultures even exist
Uriel   Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:56 am GMT
Oh, what a bunch of bullshit. Can't you do better than parrot tripe like that?