ways of ending a sentence in UK/USA

Viri   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
I've noticed (from TV) that people in Britain, when agreeing with someone, very often end their sentences with "all right then".
Americans don't use that, do they? They use "ok fine" or "yeah sure".
Am I correct?
Guest   Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
"yeah sure" could be a way to agree with someone, but more frequently it's used to mean that you don't agree at all with what has been said, or that you don't believe what has been said.
"ok fine" is usually used when you're impatient to end a conversation or an argument.
Benjamin   Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
I (from England) tend to end almost every phrase with 'though' for some reason. I don't know why I do it though — I don't really know how to translate it into any other languages though, although I suppose it might be a bit like how I often end sentences with 'alors' in French though.
Mary   Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:57 am GMT
Many Americans use monosyllables to express agreement. "Ah," "hmm," "yep," "yeah," "hrm," or just "mmm" all get the job done, and you can say them a lot quicker than "all right then."
Damian in London E16   Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:53 am GMT
"All right" in Britain can mean different things. It can be said in exasperation, for example, when having an argument and you give in to the other person. You say "all right!" more to shut them up than anything else.

"All right then?" is used when you've just explained something to someone and you want to make sure they understand what you've just said. It can also be used as a greeting when you pass someone you know in the street. Instead of saying "hi" or "hello" you can just say "alright then?" or a simple "alright?"

Alright then?
Linda   Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 am GMT
I think some of you are only right, because every single person has their own way of expressing theirself they might like to say "All right then" at the end of a sentence or nothing at all. However i never say any of these words after a sentence... I just like to say Ok and nothing more.
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:14 am GMT
Um, I've never heard any poms "alright then" me in the street or... aha, maybe that explains a certain misunderstanding.