What you call the type of English Hugh Grant Speaks!

__ne   Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:57 pm GMT
what is GAE by and far?
Robin   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:37 am GMT
OK, I did a search on GAE, which is probably a mispelling for GAY, as many people might think of Hugh Grant. And! I came up with this site:

Gae the Messages

A Scottish : English Conversion

http://www.scots-online.org/shop/index.htm

A " Teach Yourself" including 25 graded lessons, English-to-Scots vocabulary list, verb tables, dialogues grammatical explanations, exercises background information about life in Scotland and cultural context. Accompanying double CD available.

It is just someone, trying to sell something.

What a useless post !!!!
Robin   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:40 am GMT
<As for DiCaprio - I'd guess it was GAE,>

OK, I did a search on GAE, which is probably a mispelling for GAY, as many people might think of Hugh Grant. And! I came up with this site:

Gae the Messages

A Scottish : English Conversion

http://www.scots-online.org/shop/index.htm

A " Teach Yourself" including 25 graded lessons, English-to-Scots vocabulary list, verb tables, dialogues grammatical explanations, exercises background information about life in Scotland and cultural context. Accompanying double CD available.

It is just someone, trying to sell something.

What a useless post !!!! "Messages" incidently, is what the Scots say, when they are going shopping. "I am going to get some 'messages'." STUPID.
Liz   Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:01 pm GMT
<<OK, I did a search on GAE, which is probably a mispelling for GAY, as many people might think of Hugh Grant. And! I came up with this site:>>

GAE means "General American (English). It is NOT the misspellng for gay!!!
Damian in London E16   Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:50 pm GMT
Hearken tae me you lot......gae simply means "go" in Scots....as in "I gae hame suin!" (I go home soon). OK? Guid! btw: "gae hame" can also mean to become as deid as a mauk, depairt this wizzen, popping your clogs, snuffing it, shuffling off the mortal coil.

One thing you did get right - "messages". In Scotland it means to gae shopping..... or marketing or whatever you call it in your own country.
__ne   Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:44 pm GMT
Thx.. a lot... for the link and even <<GAE means "General American (English).>>

Damian... half of your post... I could not make out... I guess I am really new to Scottish... Man that's tough....

lemme see if I get any m3 samples...

Can you name some Scottish International Bands... I would listen to them to get a idea....

Thx anyways.......
Tiffany   Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
Yes, GAE means General American English, not gay misspelled.

__ne - of course an American production could have RP speakers as actors, but Forrest Gump and The Aviator certainly are not examples of this.