French Où.

LAA   Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:19 pm GMT
<<OU AND DONDE? >>
Yes, I'm sorry. I was thinking of the French "ou", without an accent mark, which means "o" in Spanish.
Guest   Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
Once again, I am not giving you lectures. I am freely writing my opinion, a thing you often price yourself of.

>I am no more arrogant than anyone else on this board
Ok, I am not stating this. But you often sound like that. Perhaps it is a matter of style...

>Quite frankly, we all sound very arrogant
Here are you generalizing again. No, many of them do not sound like that. Some of them do. Your style of stating things puts you in the ones who do.

You are entitled, welcomed and encouraged to debate further!!!! again, just watch your annoying style. Nothing else.

Tiffany wrote:>>Be a little bit more open-minded.

And then I wrote:
....and much more humble as well!!!!!....be critic, but accept critics from other persons. Otherwise you will continue to make a fool out of yourself.

Guest.

I don't see why the first sentence is a recomendation and the second is a lecture. It was just more emphatic, but still a recomendation.

I am not interested in lecturing you, let alone in insulting you or anyone. Please make a reflection of what I wrote, or just ignore it. BUT, if you still don't get my point, you needn't bother to reply it this time. Let's just leave it alone.

Best wishes,

LAA   Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:24 pm GMT
You see, I would be listening right now, but I just can't get past the fact that you hide who you are. If you abandoned your mask I would take your "subtle" reccomendations into consideration.
Presley.   Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:00 am GMT
«Forgive me for using you as an example Presley...»

Don't worry, I take no offense to that comment whatsoever. You are correct 100% in saying that I'm "casual". I know very little French, and I'm not as learned in languages as yourself.

Also I'm cool with you 'cause you are a fellow Cali.
guest   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
<<only about 500 french words have germanic origins, most of them are quite unusual and a lot of them unknown bu french themselves.>>

Correction: only approx 500 words in French are of FRANKISH origin, and the 500 count refers only to stems, not to derivatives such as debutante < debut < debuter; garage < garer, etc., which would increase the number.

French vocabulary is around 15% Germanic (Gothic, Norse, Old/Middle/Modern English, Dutch, German) compared to only 40% Latin (less than half).

Germanic French words (in addition to debuter & garer): jardin, garçon, boulevard, bois, choisir/choix, regarder, blesser, blanc, gris, bleu, brun, fauve, joli, gourmet, nord, sud, est, ouest, etiquette, attacher, choquer, farder, banc, espion, ambassade, bouquet, equiper, fournir, treve, galant, hardi, orgueil, gauche, randonnee, grippe, graver, grappe, gourmand, guide, frais...
Guest   Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
riche; engager; gain/gagner; franc; bord/bordure; brèche; flèche; bande; étendard; auberge; abandonner; déguiser; haine/haïr; hâte; broce; hacher; héron; héler; salle/salon; loge; bagage; week-end; baron; marcher; marais; marsouin; gratter; regretter; glissade; flotter; flatter

also trace roots back to some form of germanic
greg   Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
« Guest » : « French vocabulary is around 15% Germanic (Gothic, Norse, Old/Middle/Modern English, Dutch, German) compared to only 40% Latin (less than half). »

Ceci est absolument *FAUX*, bien sûr !

Le lexique français est latin à plus de 90 %.
?   Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 am GMT
thats funny i see in SPANISH jardin, abandonner, blanc, gris, nord, sud, est, ouest, attacher, frais, equiper, grippe, riche, gagner, salle/salon, baron.
How can only 45% be from latin origin don't make me laught the majority of french words i've seen are found in spanish and with the same gender most of the time.
Are you saying that Spanish is also germanic?
Guest   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:16 pm GMT
<<thats funny i see in SPANISH jardin, abandonner, blanc, gris, nord, sud, est, ouest, attacher, frais, equiper, grippe, riche, gagner, salle/salon, baron.
How can only 45% be from latin origin don't make me laught the majority of french words i've seen are found in spanish and with the same gender most of the time.
Are you saying that Spanish is also germanic? >>

You're absolutely correct!

Many germanic-based French words were borrowed by other Romance languages, like Spanish. So spanish "blano" "ganar" "rico" "ropa" "norte" etc etc are also germanic.
Guest   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:19 pm GMT
"jabon" (French "savon"), "soap" is germanic. So is "ganzo"
Guest   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
« Guest » : « French vocabulary is around 15% Germanic (Gothic, Norse, Old/Middle/Modern English, Dutch, German) compared to only 40% Latin (less than half). »

Ceci est absolument *FAUX*, bien sûr !

Le lexique français est latin à plus de 90 %.

When I say "Latin" here, I am referring to "pure" Latin, not Latin words borrowed from Greek/Germanic (Classic and Medieval Latin)/or other languages.

True, it's higher if you count those...but they're not really Latin...
D   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:41 pm GMT
OOOPS! The secret's out!

The ugly family secret's out! HAHA
greg   Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 am GMT
« Guest » : « When I say "Latin" here, I am referring to "pure" Latin, not Latin words borrowed from Greek/Germanic (Classic and Medieval Latin)/or other languages. »

Et c'est quoi le « latin pur » ?!

De toute façon, il faut que tu saches que la plupart des mots actuellement utilisés ont été inventés il y a moins de 700 ans. Il est donc logique que la portion du vocabulaire total que représente le fonds primitif tende à diminuer.
Guest   Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:47 am GMT
I'm not sure I'm getting this...
Guest   Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:20 pm GMT
"Pure" Latin are the native words of Italic origin spoken by the people of Latium; and words derived from these elements, even if coined later, are pure Latin.

Old Latin shows influences of non-Indo-European borrowing, like "vinum" (wine), cattus/catta (cat).

Celtic languages contributed words like "cambiare" (mod. Eng "change"), "carrum"/"carrus" (mod. Eng. "car"/"carriage" and "charge"), "battuere" (mod Eng "battle"/"battalion"; "combat"; "battery", etc).

Greek has had the greatest impact on Latin vocab. similar to the way Latin has impacted English. I've seen estimates at up to 50% of Latin lexicon as being borrowed from Greek.

Latin, esp. Mediaeval Latin, borrowed from Germanic: "feudum" (<feudal), "feodum" (property, payment, fee, fief) "allodium" (free land), "sacire" (seize), "murdrum" (murder), "laetus" (serf, <"allegiance"/"liege"), and also "bison"; and from Arabic: algebra, cifra (cipher, zero), zenith, etc.

So much of the English vocabulary, although coming THROUGH Latin, is not really pure Latin. It's like saying (hypothetically) that Japanese is 50% English in vocab. and therefore is 50% germanic because English is germanic. Not so. English vocab is not 100% germanic; and Latin vocab is not 100% pure Latin.