Mouvement Montréal Français

Kelly   Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 pm GMT
French people are laughing at Quebec dialect.
I don't know why there's always a problem with French minorities...in Canada, in Belgium....so childish.

Canada cannot be advertised as an exclusively French speaking country, just the way Belgium cannot be avertised as exclusively French speaking country.

''if Canada is divisible by language and ethnicity, than so is Quebec with substantial Anglophone, First Nations and immigrant minorities'''

If Quebec has rights to step away from Canada, Montreal island should have equal rights to step away from Montreal (and Quebec) forming a region similar to exWestBerlin
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
If Quebec has rights to step away from Canada, Montreal island should have equal rights to step away from Montreal (and Quebec) forming a region similar to exWestBerlin

That's Absolutely ridiculos and selfish Anglophones have the whole of English Canada and the USA to live, why the heck they want to dominate a region founded and populated by Francophones? Montreal is the second biggest French city after Paris. I'ts NOT an English city despite obvious influences of the Anglo mainstream.
Guest   Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:17 am GMT
Quebecois language has differencities from french.
it 's a language,not a dialect
Guest   Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:10 am GMT
If "Quebecois language has differencities from french.
it 's a language,not a dialect "

Then American, and Australian are language too not dialects.
Martin   Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:04 pm GMT
Quebecois is a language? LOL.
Francophilippe   Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:12 am GMT
Spaniards an Italians can understand one another using their respective literary languages but Sicilians and Venetians cannot even though they are just dialects of Italian Language.

I agree with you Brennus when you posted "Sometimes it's hard to tell where a variant, a dialect and a language all end and begin. Linguistics is still not an exact science.".
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:23 am GMT
Some forms of Quebecois French are really not much different to French French, in the right register, that is. There's just a bit of an accent, so that's fine.

But if you consider the Quebecois spoken in the show, Les Bougon, for example, there's no way I could understand much without subtitles.
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:41 am GMT
Guest: "But if you consider the Quebecois spoken in the show, Les Bougon, for example, there's no way I could understand much without subtitles."

Let me ask you guest. Are you a native French speaker. Because all native French speakers will understand each others speech inspite that they find each other's speech weird.

A Francophone can distinguish another Francophone from another country not only of his/her accent and usage of vocabulary but also of his/her contractions.

Each francophone country has its own set of contractions.

Maybe to somebody who speaks French as a second language, he/she would have a hard time understanding Quebecois French. But to a native French speaker, he would undesrtand it despite its differences between their respective speeches.
Francophilippe   Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:44 am GMT
Guest: "But if you consider the Quebecois spoken in the show, Les Bougon, for example, there's no way I could understand much without subtitles."

Let me ask you guest. Are you a native French speaker. Because all native French speakers will understand each others speech inspite that they find each other's speech weird.

A Francophone can distinguish another Francophone from another country not only of his/her accent and usage of vocabulary but also of his/her contractions.

Each francophone country has its own set of contractions.

Maybe to somebody who speaks French as a second language, he/she would have a hard time understanding Quebecois French. But to a native French speaker, he would undesrtand it despite its differences between their respective speeches.
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53 am GMT
Well not Les Bougon ! You have to watch or "listen" to it to understand what I mean by "understand" without subtitles.

...It's very crude Joual.
Tina   Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:13 pm GMT
It's not a question about feeling dominated; it's basic mathematics. Quebec vs North America, good luck. If French-speaking people feel threatened, it's not anybody's fault. Blame it on demographics: low-birth rate, etc, multicultarism. Quebec already imposes language laws, English schools are closing because not enough students can attend them, and listen to this, IMMIGRANTS are FORCED to go to French schools. Ths is not NATURAL. Forced. We're in Canada and they don't have the choice. In a way, Quebec is already separate from Canada, but the reality check is this: If you want to be free and find a good job and be functional in the world, you need to learn proper English. It's inevitable. The more languages, the better. So as for artificially creating or sustaining a culture, it DOESN'T WORK. Stop blaming anglos. Worst yet, don't impose and be happy amongst yourselves.
Kelly   Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:10 pm GMT
I concur with Tina, you cannot survive in Northern America if you don't speak English. Therefore, for any better paid job in Montreal, you have to be bilingual, and speak English fluently. That's it.
Travis   Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:41 pm GMT
I beg to differ. If you don't speak French, don't live in Quebec then, First Nations aside. What is it with many English-speaking individuals complaining (or should I say panicking?) about Spanish-speaking individuals, well, speaking Spanish in otherwise English-speaking areas, and then, the same sorts of people (in mindset) except in Canada rather than the US insist that the Quebecois don't have a right to protect their language and culture as a minority but rather must allow themselves to be submerged by English-speaking North America?

(Oh, and by the way, my native language, and the only one I am fluent in, is English, just if you were wondering.)
Travis   Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:59 pm GMT
Oh, and about my above post - despite what some Canadian nationalist types may say, English-speaking North America shares a common overall language, culture, and general political outlook (if one insists that English-speaking Canada is that much more "liberal", in the North American sense, than the US, that is because one has never heard of Alberta). The differences that are said to exist between the US and English-speaking Canada are really no larger than regional differences within the US itself. Consequently, I am consciously regarding English-speaking North Americans as a single group, rather than artificially dividing them along what is essentially a political border that is an accident of history, akin to the border that separates Germany from Austria.
CBC.CA   Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
''Montreal is french speaking''

No, Montreal is bilingual, according to the latest surveys.
Face the facts!