THE SPANISH EH!

Guest   Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 am GMT
I always here spanish people say EH! at the end of a question, why do they do it?
busky101   Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:14 am GMT
i hear the mexicans saying eh everytime
who knows where it came from?
alabana   Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 am GMT
I'VE HEARD SPANIARDS SAY HOMBRE INSTEAD? AT END OF SENTENCES
Aldvs   Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:28 pm GMT
I think you are talking about "eh ?" as question. Depending on context and if it goes at the end of a sentence it could mean something like "understand ? or see?" or "do you agree ?". If it goes alone it could mean "what ?" implying that the person who said it, didn't understand what somebody said to him.

The professor: "Then energy is equal to the product of its mass and the speed of light squared !"

The student: Eh? (what?)

The professor (slowly this time): "The energy (E) of a physical system, eh? (understand?), is numerically equal to the product of its mass (m), eh? (understand?) and the speed of light (c) squared."

The student: Give me a break!, eh? (do you agree ?)
LAA   Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
I would say that Spanish speakers use it far less than Canadians, who are notorious for that. But you will hear a lot of "no?", and "verdad", at the end of sentences in Spanish? The "no?" is like saying in English, "Is it not true?", or "Isn't it the case?". And "verdad", is used in Spanish as the equivalent of English, "Really?", or "For real?" "Is that the truth?".
fab   Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:53 pm GMT
In french we would say "hein!"

And for "verdad", "vraiment?"