Cock of the North

Rene   Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Rereading my post, it hit me as a bit rude. Didn't mean to be, no offense intended. Sorry.
Uriel   Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
I would think the wind would be the best part of the whole kilt-wearing thing! At least for my viewing pleasure....
Damian in London N2   Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11 pm GMT
Rene:
No problem - no way rude! ! Commando is great in the summer.....that liberating feeling I mentioned is cool then. But those winter winds....nae sae guid, like frozen nuts.

Uriel:
Aye, I reckon I do you know you! Actually, I like shorts too....I wished I could have worn them to work during the grue London heatwaves this past summer. I'm not allowed to wear a kilt to work even on a Scottish paper!

A Penguin:
Aye...Edinburgh has been known as the Athens of the North. For Parthenon read Castle, but I'm not exactly sure what else links the Scottish capital with the Greek....except maybe restaurants, as you may have already found out. It certainly is appropriate to wear the kilt at grad ceremonies....I made a point of wearing mine at Leeds and I wasn't alone. My stepdad is a local councillor in West Edinburgh and we all wore kilts at his civic service and reception, and when my Scottish cousin married an English girl down near Oxford most of the Scottish males wore kilts for the wedding. I really enjoy wearing the kilt when in England. :-)

Boy:
I hope your fever is better.....do as doc orders.
I'm not too sure what game or sport you're referring too. One thing is for sure it's not the tossing of the caber! That's when a very long, very thick, and very heavy wooden pole (ideally a real trimmed tree trunk) is held aloft in the cupped hands of a hunky, hairy guy in a kilt who runs forward with the caber balanced upright in his hands and then, with a loud grunt usually) gives it an almighty thrust forward and upward in such a way that the whole thing does a somersault in the air and lands with the end previously held in the hands furthest away from the tosser (if you'll pardon the expression). Tosser has another meaning in the UK! The Baremar Games in Aberdeenshire and the Crieff Games in Perthshire are the best places to see the caber tossing. The word "caber" literally means a pole in Gaelic (cabar).

You must have seen pics of the kilt surely? Anyway, try:

http://www.mytartan.com/?gclid=CNuwsJSnzIcCFSJqMAodrEV8Gw

My own kilt tartan is the Grant as shown in this link (it's my surname too):

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclangrant.htm
Rene   Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
<London heatwaves this past summer>

How hot does it get there. The hottest it gets here in Northern California is about 117. We had two weeks this summer above 110, but the rest has been great, especially for a Southern California girl who is used to two straight months of 120 heat!