David beckham english

helen   Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
People say it is hard for Devid Beckham to master his language and even it is harder to learn spainsh. So studying the language is depend on you brain power even English is your first lanuage? Because I can't master english wich is not my first launguage. What do you think?
Robin   Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
David Beckham is a very wealthy man, and he has married a very wealthy woman. He plays football at the highest level. Perhaps he is not as thick as he first appears.

I think that learning foreign languages is a talent that not everybody has. Some people cannot even master their own language.

Also, it seems to be something that young people are much better at, than older people.

There are different aspects, pronunciation, speech, reading, writing, etc. I am amazed at the high standard that is required for Students of English as a Second Language. I think that in some respects it is artificially high.

At the end of the day, language is about communication. It is not always necessary to speak in order to communicate.
Llorenna   Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
David Backham's voice and accent (both) sound very gay, at least to my ears...
Boy   Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:04 am GMT
A week ago, I guess, his detailed interview was aired on StarWorld channel. I could understand him very easily as compared to some of English cricketers. I have a movie channel on cable that shows only British movies. At first glance, I thought actors and actresses were speaking another alien language in those movies but then I realized that they were speaking Englishhhhhhhhh....!
Damian in London E16   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 am GMT
***David Backham's voice and accent (both) sound very gay, at least to my ears...***

So what's wrong with that? What do your ears tell you?
Damian in London E16   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:23 am GMT
***A week ago, I guess, his detailed interview was aired on StarWorld channel. I could understand him very easily as compared to some of English cricketers. I have a movie channel on cable that shows only British movies. At first glance, I thought actors and actresses were speaking another alien language in those movies but then I realized that they were speaking Englishhhhhhhhh....!***

Becks is from Leytonestone, in East London, and his accent is typical of that area and he's never claimed to be Mr Articulate...he leaves that sort of thing to Stick Thin Vicky......he just concentrates on his Golden Balls and bending it.

English cricketers...you must have Andrew (Freddie) Flintoff in mind....a Lad from Lancashire.

Of course Englishhhhhhhhhh is an alien Language and of course those old British movies confirm that......it's not only the changes of time that adds to the alien perception...location has the same effect. eg the English of Devon is alien to the English of Cumbria; the English of Norfolk is alien to the English of Caithness and so on and on......
Guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:28 am GMT
<***David Backham's voice and accent (both) sound very gay, at least to my ears...***

So what's wrong with that? What do your ears tell you?>

Apparently there is a 'Gay' accent in all English accent groups. Though I am not implying that all Gays have this accent.
Boy   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:56 am GMT
Damian

How did you know that I had Flintoff in my mind? I am totally stumped by your guess. How can you be a mind reader? This is scary stuff, man!!!
Adam   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
David Backham's voice and accent (both) sound very gay, at least to my ears...
---------------------------

That's because he speaks with an Essex accent.