Lithuania

Easterner   Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:43 pm GMT
Vytenis,

I found it here:

http://www.angelfire.com/va/virdainas/

It is possible that the version I found is a bad literal translation form another language (Russian?)... In the latter case, I will double-check my sources in the future. :)

By the way, the right version you gave sounds more like Lithuanian as I know it from written texts I have read... :)
Easterner   Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:54 pm GMT
Actually, the version I gave first is not a bad translation or anything of the sort. It is also in a variant of Lithuanian, called Samogitian or Zemaichiai. See:
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-samogitian.html
Easterner   Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
However, it still has some typing errors, that's true...
Vytenis   Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:03 pm GMT
Maybe this was a bad translation or maybe some ancient version. In any case, it sounded weird to me :)
Easterner   Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:31 pm GMT
Vytenis,

I have wanted to ask you who are the most prominent persons whose names should come to mind when thinking of Lithuania (historical figures, artists, actors, scientists, current public figures, etc.). Could you name some of them?
Vytenis   Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:12 am GMT
Well, Arvydas Sabonis, the famous basketball player usually comes to mind... :)
ARN   Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:50 am GMT
Also the other basketball players , e.g. Z. Ilgauskas, S. Jasikevicius do change the vision of Lithuania...
ARN   Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:53 am GMT
What about the words of Mel Gibson?

Would you agree with the passage from one article:

Hollywood reference remains deeply engraved in the Lithuanian psyche. This time the culprit was Mel Gibson, and his infamous words: “Sharp-toothed Lithuanians armed with baseball bats are crawling across the beach into your house. What should we do with them? We have to fight back.”
The Lithuanian embassy intervened and requested an apology.

But the epithet stuck. The Google search engine produces over 20 references to “sharp-toothed Lithuanians” in the media, e-forums and portals. The phrase has become accepted.

Lithuania in the World
Vol. 13, No 4, 2005
http://www.liw.lt/index.php?shid=1125398404
Znarf   Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:17 pm GMT
Dear Vytenis,

can you read the "Teve Musu" for me please? I am singing in a german choir and we rehearse A. Remesa's music piece, but no one can pronounce it correctly. A WAV or MP3 file would do - or some phonetic language....

Thanks a lot,
Znarf
Vytenis   Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:20 am GMT
I am sorry, I do not have opportunity to record it. But generally Lithuanian spelling is quite phonetical, i.e. the words are pronounced like they are spelled.
Znarf   Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:42 pm GMT
@ Vytenis

I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can tell me about the pronounciation of words with macrons, ogoneks and so on.
E.g. is musu spelt like muuuusung ?
is danguje spelt like danguja ?

Greetings,
Znarf
Vytenis   Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 pm GMT
"musu" is prounounced like "mOOsoo"

"danguje" is pronounced like "DunguyA"

Hope this helps :)
Some_indian   Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:00 am GMT
Dear Phil,

Please correct your self, Sanskrit is not a dead language and it is pretty much alive in India. All the mantras in temples are recited in Sanskrit only. Read the wikipedia's article on sanskrit to get your facts cirrect.
Jonas   Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:27 pm GMT
Vytenis, this was Zemaitiskai written. :-)

Lithuania devided in some areas,where certain dialects formed.
mishka   Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:57 pm GMT
As far as I know Baltic republics in the USSR were considered as a western "face of the USSR".
Now I read at Estonian forum that Estonia is an "ass of Europe."
LOL.