How prolific is French in West Africa?

LAA   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:42 pm GMT
I know it is the national language, or official language of many West African countries, as they were former French colonies. There are also so many regional dialects and various tribal native languages, that there is no natural linguistic unity, so many of them adopt French as a common language. But, how commonly is French spoken by the majority of people in this region?
fab   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:49 pm GMT
in those countries French is the official language, which means that it is the language of administrations, schools, etc.
All the people who have been to school speaks it.
Guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:52 pm GMT
Yes what fab basically mentioned is true. French is spoken in the Governmental departments including hospitals, schools, etc.

Since most governmental departments are based in the cities as oppose to rural areas many rural areas of Africa still hold onto their native tounges.
LAA   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
But I have also read that most children only take a couple of years in French, and don't start the study of French until their older years, when in school. This would mean that they speak it as a foreign language. But, basically, if a person spoke French, they could easily get around and communicate with most of the population?

And how many Francophones are in Africa?
fab   Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 am GMT
" But, basically, if a person spoke French, they could easily get around and communicate with most of the population? "

I've personally have been in Dakar (Senegal) - everything is indicated in French and eveybody speak it (of course iwth an african accent) - some people have french as native language, and others as second language.
In the country, it may be different, I can't say.
LAA   Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:08 am GMT
But it is a fact that at least in the cities, one can get by on French, no?
Guest   Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:33 am GMT
<But it is a fact that at least in the cities, one can get by on French, no?>

Well basically yes though African French is full of native African words. Also there are some pigion versions of French.