sur name

dhfury   Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:49 am GMT
What is sur name? I would like to write a letter to a gentleman. I think I must call his sur name. How can I know which one is sur name?
Guest   Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:34 am GMT
His family name.
Guest   Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:02 am GMT
How about a maiden name? What is that?

I also heard of a 'Christian name' what is that also?
JW   Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:48 pm GMT
A maiden name is the former last name (family name) of a married woman--that is, it's the name she dropped in order to aquire the last name of her husband.

A Christian name is merely another term for first name. For instance, if my name was John Wilson, my Christian name would be John. And just so you know, the term "Christian name" is nowadays considered archaic and somewhat ethnocentric. But feel free to use it if you like. I think it has a rather pleasingly archaic ring to it myself.
Guest   Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
Sometimes non-Christians get offended if you use the term "Christian name".
The Buddhist   Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:21 am GMT
<<Sometimes non-Christians get offended if you use the term "Christian name".>>

If a Christian chooses to say; my Christian name is Anna and a non Christian gets offended by her doing so, well then that non Christian has some serious issues and should seek professional help!
Guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:04 am GMT
And if a Buddhist asks me my Buddhist name?
Lazar   Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:45 am GMT
Just a note: It's "surname" (one word) rather than "sur name". "Surname" is a formal synonym for "last name".

Likewise, "Christian name" is a formal synonym for "first name". But because this term is religion-specific, it's become kinda archaic. It's been replaced by "forename" (more common in the UK) and "given name" (more common in the US).
Robin   Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:27 am GMT
Forename and Given Name are slightly different. First of all, someone might have more than one forenames. The one they chews (choose) to be called by, might be the second or the third. Coming back to dear old Scotland, a lot of common first names, have very common nicknames that go with them.

William: Willie, Wullie, Billy, Bill etc

James: Jimmie, Jamie etc

Robert: Rab, Robbie etc

Alexander: Sandy, Alec

(Incidently: these are all names of Scottish Kings, or to be historically accurate, Scottish and British Kings. The one I am having trouble with is 'William'. In Northern Ireland / Glasgow, your choice of name will tell everybody which side of the religous divide you are on.)

See Also

It is always a difficult decision as to when you can be on first name terms. Some people, such as high pressure salesman, just as they might put their foot in the door, they will also presume to use a potential client's first name, as a way of encouraging familiarity and confidence.

Other people remain aloof and address people properly, long after it is time to be more informal.

The Polish children that I am friendly with, call me Mr. Robin even though Robin is my first name, and not my surname. I am quite happy for them to call me that because it shows a certain amount of respect, and yet at the same time they are using my first name. It is like a 'pet name'.

Similarly, other people will use something like 'pal' when talking to a stranger, to be friendly. Foreigners will sometimes say "blah blah friend", assuming you are their friend. That is quite acceptable in its way. To a certain extent native speakers forgive foreigners all sorts of errors if they want to.

But to answer your question, in a letter it is probably better to be slightly formal, because you do not know who the letter will be shown to. So you could say Mr. _________. Unfortunately, the position with reference to women is more difficult, because if you say Miss or Mrs. ___________, it reveals their marital status, which is something that they do not always want to disclose. One way round that is to address a women in a letter as Ms. _________. Another way is to use their first name and Surname. The position is more complicated when people have a string of names. With some groups of immigrants, it is not immediately obvious whether their first name comes at the start of the string or visa versa, and where in the string their surname appears.

Traditionally nobility are refered to by their estate. Prince Charles of Windsor.

It is clearly wrong if you address someone Mr. (First Name) particularly in a letter. But because it is wrong does not stop people from doing it. Mr. Jimmy

Foreigners sometimes will say 'Sir' long after it has become necessary. In fact saying 'Sir' at all may be inappropriate. However will sometimes go down well, because it implies a degree of respect that is quite possibly not deserved.

The female version of 'Sir', which is 'Madam' is far more problematic, as it refers to an older woman for a start. Also, a Madam is the proprietor of a Brothel.

I believe the Police favour a term like 'Mam'.

I think that I have rambled a bit, but you can see that this is a potential minefield. However like most things, it is what you communicate that is important. People who communicate with out 'Good Will' are poor communicators.
Q   Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 pm GMT
Jane Smith nee Jones

What is sur name?
Smith
(also, remember surname is one word)
How about a maiden name? What is that?
Jones
name of a woman before marriage (original virgin name)

I also heard of a 'Christian name' what is that also?
Jane
Habib Md. Arif Khan   Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Can any one suggest me, what should be my sur name.