Twin Set

Robin   Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:11 am GMT
Sarah dressed as demurely as she could without going to plain ugly. Dark blue jeans, a pale blue twin set, sneakers.

I thought I would share with you, my research on 'twin set'.

A twin set is a combination of a cardigan and a jumper worn by a woman. The combination are made as a matching set from fine wool and are often of such quality as to be heirlooms.

Made of Cashmere knitted in Scotland.
guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:03 am GMT
What kind of research, honestly? Go to Amazon.com, to Yahoo Shopping, to Webster Dictionary online (or to any Department Store) and see the result. Very simple. And BTW, nowadays it's often made of synthetic fabrics. Twin set made of Cashmere wouldn't be so 'demure'.
Robin   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:26 am GMT
What do you mean by BTW?

There is a tradition in Scotland of women of a certain age, and possibly even of a certain quality, wearing Cashmere cardigans.

I appreciate that virtually any fabric in the world has a cheaper equivalent. I can almost remember a little saying about the ability of man to make something cheaper and nastier.

Because we are talking about ' of a certain age', and ' a certain disposition' we are not talking about 'exciting' or 'trendy'.

I found it interesting that the character wore a twin set in an Australian novel, because it strongly suggests a common culture.

"Taming the Beast" by Emily Maguire

I am just going to buy the last copy in Aberdeen.
Robin   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:28 am GMT
BTW: This is an abbreviation for by the way. Used in various online communications such as e-mail messages or postings to newsgroups or BBSs, it usually appears in brackets like this: <BTW>.

LOL: I do have a sense of humour
guest   Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
'I found it interesting that the character wore a twin set in an Australian novel, because it strongly suggests a common culture. '

I don't get your point yet. I have no doubt that historically you're right. But today a twin set is a very common type of women's apparel regardless of country, age, and social position. Now when cold season is coming any department store's full of them.
Robin   Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
<But today a twin set is a very common type of women's apparel regardless of country, age, and social position. Now when cold season is coming any department store's full of them. >

Hello Ms Guest

So where you live the cold season is coming on, so it must the northern hemisphere. The shopping sites that you suggested were .com which suggests North America.

To explain my remarks:

I remarked to my ex-girlfriend when we were in Perth. Scotland about elderly ladies wearing cardigans over knitted tops. She said something to the effect; that it was fashion style popular amongst 'Spinster Aunts'.

Does that sound like a put down?

I hope you do not wear a 'twin set'?

I have also been to Johnson's of Elgin, which produces Cashmere Twin Sets. Their business has been threated by a 'Trade War' with America, in which America retaliated because Britain wanted to buy bananas from Carribean Countries in the Commonwealth. Bush, funded by Dole etc. wanted Britain to buy bannana's produced by Mega Corporations in American that owned the Banana Republics of South and Central America.

OK, my poor grammar: they own the governments, not the Banana Republics.
guest   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
I don't get your sarcastic tone as 'I hope you do not wear a 'twin set'? '
Personally I do not because it's too feminine for me, I prefer jeans and sweater. But if I were, wouldn't it make any difference in our discussion ? I fail to see how.

My previous post says: 'But today a twin set is a very common type of women's apparel regardless of country, age, and social position.' Wouldn't you agree?
initially my first reply came as a response to this particular remark:
'I thought I would share with you, MY RESEARCH on 'twin set'.
Your following definition can easily be found in any dictionary.

twinset
. a woman’s matching cardigan and jumper.(Oxford)

a combination of a matching pullover and cardigan worn together (Webster)

a woman's jumper and cardigan which have the same colour or pattern and are worn together (Cambridge)

Wouldn't you agree
Robin   Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:56 am GMT
I looked up 'Twin set' because it was mentioned in the novel that I was reading, and I did not know what it refered too.

<<<<My previous post says: 'But today a twin set is a very common type of women's apparel regardless of country, age, and social position.' Wouldn't you agree? >>>>>

No, I don't agree. If you look at what I have written:

<<<I remarked to my ex-girlfriend when we were in Perth. Scotland about elderly ladies wearing cardigans over knitted tops. She said something to the effect; that it was fashion style popular amongst 'Spinster Aunts'. >>>

So, I associate 'twin sets' with Spinster Aunts.

Now, do you understand my remark:

<<<<I don't get your sarcastic tone as 'I hope you do not wear a 'twin set'? '
Personally I do not because it's too feminine for me, I prefer jeans and sweater. But if I were, wouldn't it make any difference in our discussion ? I fail to see how.>>>

I don't associate 'twin sets' with advanced femininity, I associate 'twin sets' with Spinster Aunts - 'Old Maids'

Are you an old Maid?

No, I am not a sexist pig and no it would not make any difference to our conversation whether you were an 'Old Maid' or a 'Babe'. I am just not that sort of person.

<<<But if I were, wouldn't it make any difference in our discussion ? I fail to see how. >>>

At the moment I am reading a novel: Taming the Beast by Emily Maguire

The central character is described.

<<<<Sarah dressed as demurely as she could without going to plain ugly. Dark blue jeans, a pale blue twin set, sneakers. >>>>

What she is doing, is she is dressing in a rather old fashioned, and classy way. That fits in with her character. The words are carefully chosen. It was twin set, not

"Dark blue jeans, jumper and sneakers."

Jumper would have inspired an image of sexy breasts.

Twin Set inspires and image of little old ladies.

Bye for now
guest   Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:44 am GMT
Personally I don't like twin sets at all (I told you so) and I never began to think why. Probably you're right , this is so because the image of an 'elderly spinster' just comes to my mind involuntarily.
mike   Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:06 am GMT
And what inspires you when you see this woman, Robin?

http://www.raffaello-network.com/raffties/detail.php?itemid=45379&rangeid=345

There is always a trendy stuff for old versions…Update you fashion trend!
Robin   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
I hate the colour. I don't find it particularly attractive.

This looks a little bit 'cooler':

http://www.brora.co.uk/Brora/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=LQ894&cid=&language=en-GB

The sort of people who pay these sorts of prices, are too old to be sexy.

Bye for now
Uriel   Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
"BTW" is just an abbreviation for "By The Way", Robin.

When I think of twin sets, I don't think of Scotland, either, I'm afraid -- it's just a matching shirt/cardigan combo.

Of course, to me a "jumper" is an ugly type of dress, not a sweater, but I'm sure you knew that.
Guest   Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:06 pm GMT
At the risk of sounding a bit obsessional, I suddenly remembered a context in which I had heard 'twin set'.

"Twin Set and Pearls"

"The Queen wore a twin set and pearls."

This was one of the results of my Google search. The other result brought up articles about Librarians, including one which should have included pictures. Further research lead me to a site which looked very interesting but costs a few dollars. I am also worried about 'entrapment'.

I really should get out more. My hormones do seem to be bubbling along at the moment.