Using "water".

Milky   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:39 am GMT
Anything wrong with B's answer, IYO?

A: What would you like to drink, miss?

B: I'd like a water, please.
Guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:42 am GMT
No. "a water" is commonly said. I personally would probably say "some water", though.
Robin   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 am GMT
Strangely enough, in this particular context, 'a water' is fine.

The reason is: if you as for 'water' in a Pub, you have to pay for it. What you will be served, is 'Mineral Water'.

So, you will have 'a water', in the same way as you would have 'a beer'.

On the other hand, if you asked for 'some water', the barman / person, might ask you if you want 'a glass of water', or a mineral water. Quite possibly, he/she will just pour you an expensive mineral water out of a bottle.

"the barman / person"

I think that "bar maid" is Politically Incorrect, perhaps someone would like to comment.
M56   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:10 am GMT
<No. "a water" is commonly said. I personally would probably say "some water", though. >

And what if the café had both bottled and tap water?
Guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:15 am GMT
"And what if the café had both bottled and tap water?"

I would say "a bottle of water" and "a glass of water", respectively.
M56   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:29 am GMT
<"And what if the café had both bottled and tap water?"

I would say "a bottle of water" and "a glass of water", respectively. >

The article "a" would be enough for the waitress to understand that it was bottled water, and not tapwater, that you wanted.

Efficiency is the key. Context, inference and familiarity supply the rest.
Guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:49 am GMT
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Most resturants don't even serve bottled water, anway. LOL
Guest   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:50 am GMT
oops. "restaurants"
Tommie   Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:20 am GMT
<I'm sorry, but I disagree. Most resturants don't even serve bottled water, anway. LOL >

Who mentioned restaurants? Cafés was mentioned and most of the cafés I know serve bottled water.
Tommie   Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:21 am GMT
Oops! cafés WERE mentioned
M56   Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:25 am GMT
Tell me, Guest, what you would understand by this restaurant-based comment?

"Number four wants a thirty two!"
Lazar   Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
<<Anything wrong with B's answer, IYO?>>

IMO, B's answer is acceptable. It sounds normal to ask for "a water" (ie, a bottle of water) in the same way that one would ask for "an iced tea" or "a Coke".
Tommie   Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:07 pm GMT
<IMO, B's answer is acceptable. It sounds normal to ask for "a water" (ie, a bottle of water) in the same way that one would ask for "an iced tea" or "a Coke". >

Quite normal indeed.
Q   Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:21 pm GMT
>> The reason is: if you as for 'water' in a Pub, you have to pay for it. What you will be served, is 'Mineral Water'. <<

yes, very true. Also correct if they are selling bottled water-- a bottle of water would be "a water".

>> "the barman / person"

I think that "bar maid" is Politically Incorrect, perhaps someone would like to comment. <<

"Bar maid" is fine. Don't worry about being "politically correct" -- the whole idea is an evil invention of the liberals.
M56   Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:54 pm GMT
<"Bar maid" is fine. Don't worry about being "politically correct" -- the whole idea is an evil invention of the liberals. >

You unjust self-esteem reducer, you!*

;-)

*critic