Redundancy?

Milky   Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:09 am GMT
In your opinion is "always" redundant here?

""When I go to Joe's Pizza, I always buy Pepperoni."
Q   Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
No. It's emphasizing that you Always buy pepperoni. It's more natural sounding that simply: ""When I go to Joe's Pizza, I buy Pepperoni." unless you want to add something onto the end such as "because pepperoni is the best topping in the world."
Robin   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
Personally, I think that 'redundancy' is very important in conversation. I know it can be extremely annoying, but it also gives people an opportunity to think, and it repeats a message, so that it is clearly understood.

My mother is the expert of meaningless conversations in which she does really say anything, and does not really hear what I am saying either. (No comments please !!!)
M56   Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:20 am GMT
<My mother is the expert of meaningless conversations in which she does really say anything, and does not really hear what I am saying either. (No comments please !!!) >

Sorry? Did you say something, Robin?

;-p
Uriel   Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:54 pm GMT
It's not redundant at all; it's an important qualifier. It changes the meaning of the sentence significantly from say, "I SOMETIMES buy pepperoni" or even "I USUALLY buy pepperoni".

Yes, you can simply say "I buy pepperoni" and it would semantically mean the same thing as "I always buy pepperoni", but most people are unconsciously using ALWAYS in that context to acknowledge and point out that there is a whole range of other alternatives (sometimes, never, occasionally, usually, etc.) and they are emphasizing their particular option -- always. So with one word they are implying more than they are actually saying.