A million thanks.

Joy   Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 am GMT
Dear friends,

I would be much grateful if anyone could help me with the following questions.
1)Thus, they claim, even a lowly E. coli bacterium can be a member of Mensa if you consider that it's in competition with other microbes.(What does "Mensa" mean here?)
2)In other words, a program that simply flipped a coin could do better than these miniminds.
(What does " simply flipped a coin " mean here?
3)Neural networks have the unique ability to perform several brain-like tasks, including sophisticated pattern recognition and learning. (Does "brain-like tasks" mean "complicated tasks that are generally finished by human beings"?
Tom204   Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:14 am GMT
1. Mensa= a membership organization for geniuses

2. When trying to decide an issue, one can "simply flip a (2 sided) coin" for the purposes of determining a solution. If the coin lands on side A, then one predetermined action is taken. If the coin lands on side B, then the other action is taken.

3. yes
Robin   Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:57 am GMT
<<<<1)Thus, they claim, even a lowly E. coli bacterium can be a member of Mensa if you consider that it's in competition with other microbes.(What does "Mensa" mean here?) >>>>

OK, Mensa is an organisation that only admits people with an IQ above a certain level. So how can a 'lowly E.coli bacterium' be a member of Mensa. A bacterium does not have an IQ. However, a bacterium has survived in 'the survival of the fittest'. So there is a sense in which a bacterium is clever. (Conversely: {not a word that I usually use} you could argue that clever people do not always to well in the personal survival and prosperity stakes.)

Often, when someone asks: What does the word mean in this context? it is because the word is being used inappropriately, or in an unusual way.

<<<<Does "brain-like tasks" mean "complicated tasks that are generally finished by human beings"? >>>>>

Yes