Your Accent!

Sander   Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:39 pm GMT
Yeah about that,

To which languages/dialects can I compare the degree of 'the sameness' between them?

British English vs. American English (very small)
Danish vs. Swedish (small)
French vs. Italian (moderate)
Dutch vs. German (large)
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:49 pm GMT
Yes, they're quite similar. I can understand a lot of Russian, especially in written form. Speech is a little bit harder to understand.
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:51 pm GMT
P.S. :My message was dedicated to Mike.
Candy   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:09 pm GMT
<<I checked the old link I gave you ... It works ... check my mike's topic :))) >>

Doesn't work on my stupid PC, for some reason....;( I'll try again tomorrow (the thing's very temperamental)
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:09 pm GMT
Umm, not sure, I think they have more in common than Italian and French, but maybe a little less than Danish and Swedish (not sure about the similarity degree between Danish and Swedish).
Guest   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:33 pm GMT
=>(not sure about the similarity degree between Danish and Swedish). <=
Slight difference in pronounciation and writing, can understand eachother without ever learning anothers language.
vit   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:42 pm GMT
<<Besides, who really lives where they were born these days?>>

Well, I do. I've been living in and around Chicago for almost 30 years (I'm 32) (18 years in the south suburbs, 9 years in the city proper, 4 years away for college). My accent is hard to pin down, some people say it is chicago, others accuse me of sounding slightly 'new yorkish' or 'east coastish'. Which being that a lot of my family is from the nyc and new england area I guess perhaps I succumbed to a bit of that influence even though I've always lived in Chicago (aparently I occasionally drop my 'r's, I really got called on that when I went away to a small town in the midwest for college and the word "aftawoods" for "afterwards" escaped my lips). As far as accents I like are concerned. I do like the east-coast US accents (whenever I hear someone talking with a strong Boston accent I get all nostalgic and want to make them keep talking, my grannie and an elderly uncle of mine both sported very strong ones, and I have fond memories of them both), I'm also rather taken with the nyc accents for similar reasons (I had an aunt from Queens, I used to love it when she'd call when I was a child). I'm also quite fond of Irish and Scottish accents.

I find British RP speech a bit annoying and overly 'posh' sounding, and am also not that fond of the US southern or the Californian sing songy accent. Obviously 'not fond of' does not translate to 'prejudice against' ultimately I don't care how someone speaks, I'm more concerned with what they are saying. But I cannot deny that certain accents appeal to me more than others.
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
Then I guess the difference between Russian and Serbo-Croatian/Bosnian is a bit bigger.
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:47 pm GMT
<<Besides, who really lives where they were born these days?>>

"Well, I do."

So do I. LOL :)
Sander   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:50 pm GMT
Lol, me too
Kirk   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:10 pm GMT
<<I find British RP speech a bit annoying and overly 'posh' sounding, and am also not that fond of the US southern or the Californian sing songy accent.>>

*this sing-songy Californian curls up into a defensive and hurt ball*

jk ;)

<<Obviously 'not fond of' does not translate to 'prejudice against' ultimately I don't care how someone speaks, I'm more concerned with what they are saying. But I cannot deny that certain accents appeal to me more than others.>>

Yeah that's fine. Everyone has their preferences :)
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
"English is alright if it sounds like that spoken by Jamie Oliver."

He speaks Mockney, and I hate it.

Northern English accents are much better than poncey Southern English ones.
Tiffany   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:49 pm GMT
Hmm, you like Northern English accents better? I wonder where you're from?
Mannix   Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:27 pm GMT
<<Mannix - here is my website if you are interested in hearing my voice: http://www.geocities.com/fkosovel>>

Thanks for the link. So that thing I read about that said that Australians merged ''pool'' and ''pull'' was not true then, right?
Sander   Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
=>I wonder where you're from? <=

I say Satans arse but he says northern England.