Lord Byron, and what it means to be minging!

Robin   Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
Notice outside classroom in Aberdeen Grammar School

Do not be a mink
Put the rubbish in the bin

Well, I thought that a mink, was a 'minker'

rhymning with 'stinker'.

I have just looked up the Slang Dictionary: and all I can find is

ming: the short form of 'minger'

minger Noun. A physically undesirable, smelly, or ugly person. Pronounced with a hard G. E.g."It wasn't 'til we woke, the next morning, that I realised quite what a minger she was. I left pretty damn sharpish before she asked for my phone number."

mingin(g) Adj. Rubbishy, unpleasant, smelly, dirty, undesirable. Usually heard pronounced as mingin'. [Orig Scottish]

mingy Adj. Miserly, stingy. E.g."Don't be so mingy, share the chocolate with your sister."

I will try another dictionary. Before I do, I will let you have these definitions as well.

ming Verb. To smell or look unpleasant. E.g."Yearghh, that's disgusting! It mings in here! Which one of you has farted?"

minge Noun. The female genitals. Derived from dialect, which ultimately may have its roots in the Romany, minj. [1900s]

mingebag Noun. 1. A despicable person. Derog.
2. A miser. Derog.

So, this is another 'Slang Dictionary'.

minge - (pron. minje) a fairly common term for vagina.

minger - an unattractive person (usually female). e.g.. "Look at those right minger's over there !".

minging - drunk, painful, disgusting. e.g.. "I was totally minging last night" or "My head is really minging".

I am quite shocked. But what do you expect from a School that has a Statue of Byron at front entrance. A man infamous in his own time for sleeping with his sister.

He was famously described by Lady Caroline Lamb as "mad, bad, and dangerous to know."

He received his formal education at Aberdeen Grammar School.

There he met and shortly fell deeply in love with a fifteen year old choirboy by the name of John Edleston.

Lord Byron cut a sexual swathe that still astonishes by its sheer brazenness and multiplicity - he once bragged that he had sex with 250 women in Venice over the course of a single year. He was all-inclusive - boys, siblings, women of all classes.

Augusta (his sister) had been separated from her husband since 1811 when she gave birth on April 15, 1814 to a daughter, Medora. The extent of Byron's joy over the birth has been construed as evidence that he was Medora's father, a theory reinforced by the many passionate poems he wrote to Augusta.

The Greeks mourned Lord Byron deeply, and he became a national hero.

Byron also kept a bear while he was a student at Trinity College, Cambridge (reputedly out of resentment of Trinity rules forbidding pet dogs).
Brendan   Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:12 am GMT
Interesting background on Lord Byron Robin, thanks, also I wanted to poin out that theres a <a href="http://podcasts.farraige.com" alt="Podcast of Childe Harold's Pilgimage by Lord Byron available (free) on itunes or at http://podcasts.farraige.com">Podcast of Childe Harold's Pilgimage by Lord Byron available (free) on itunes or at http://podcasts.farraige.com</a>