Does anybody here speak Welsh?

Adam   Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
"older than Basque, Greek and Albanian?? "

Welsh is the oldest SURVIVING language in Europe.

It's older than Greek and Albanian and Basque - as they are all modern languages just like Welsh is.

But it's not older than Ancient Greek and Latin - but they are dead, extinct languages.

Of all the languages spoken now in Europe, Welsh is the oldest.
Adam   Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:50 pm GMT
As it says in Wikipedia -

"The term Welsh literature may be used to refer to any literature originating from Wales or by Welsh writers. However, it more often refers to literature written in the Welsh language. Literature by Welsh writers in the English language is usually called Anglo-Welsh literature or Welsh literature in English.

This article will give an overview of the history of Welsh-language literature. For information about Welsh literature in English, see Anglo-Welsh literature. For more information about Welsh-language literature refer to the articles noted.

After literature written in the classical languages, literature in the Welsh language is the oldest surviving literature in Europe. The Welsh literary tradition still lives, stretching from the sixth century to the twentieth first. Its fortunes have fluctuated over the centuries, in line with those of the Welsh language. Even today the language of the early Middle Ages is recognisable to some modern-day Welsh speakers."

And, as it says on this website about Welsh -

Welcome to My Welsh Page (Croeso i Fy Dudalen Gymraeg)

"Wales (Cymru) is a country that is a part of Great Britain, and although it is adjacent to England, it has a unique culture of its own. The Welsh language (Cymraeg) is the oldest language in Europe, with the oldest surviving Welsh manuscripts dating back to the 8th century A.D.

Believe it or not, the longest word in the Welsh language is the name of a town in North Wales called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysyliogogogoch, which is actually several Welsh words run together. The English translation is as follows: "St. Mary's (Church) by the white aspen over the Whirlpool and St. Tysilio's (Church) by the red cave."

Because it is such a mouthful, the town is usually referred to as simply Llanfair. The Welsh language is still very much alive today, being spoken by nearly 600,000 people in Wales, including my mother, who grew up speaking it as her first language."

Learn Welsh (Disgu Cymraeg)

Sut dych chi?/How are you? (formal)

Sut wyt ti?/How are you? (informal)

Iawn, diolch/Fine, thank you

Bore da/Good morning

Prynhawn da/Good afternoon

Noswaith dda/Good evening

Nos da/Good night

Hwyl/Bye

Pob lwc/Good luck

Diolch/Thank you

Beth yw eich enw chi?/What is your name?

Dych chi yn siarad Cymraeg?/Do you speak Welsh?

Wyt ti yn siarad Cymraeg?/Do you speak Welsh? (informal)

Ble dych chi yn byw?/Where do you live? (formal)

Ble wyt ti yn byw?/Where do you live? (informal)

http://www.rachelvidrine.com/welshpage.html
Dr. William E. Kelly Jr.   Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:59 pm GMT
I speak Welsh as well as Gaelic (along with 12 other languages). The key to Welsh is differentiating the English words from the words which sound English, but have an entirely different meaning.

Dr. WEK, Jr.
Guest   Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm GMT
«(along with 12 other languages)»

Hmmm....FREAK!! Just kidding.
Dr. William E. Kelly, Jr.   Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Yes, the languages I already speak fluently are:

English, Welsh, Gaelic, Pashto, Tagalog, Chinese (Mandarin), Tibetan, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Farsi, Thai, Indonesian/Malaysian, and Vietnamese. And I am near fluent in Swahili, Faroese, Flemish, Afrikaans, Mongolian, Basque, and Esperanto.

In order to avoid becoming rusty, I practice each language for 1 hour every three days. So it`s 21 languages, 7 hours per day practice. And on top of that, I teach 3 lectures per day at the university (mostly SE Asian languages).

Once I get the near fluent languages to a level of fluency, I plan on starting to learn 5 new languages intensively every two years. My goal is to eventually speak 50 fluently, which I should be able to get done in the next 15 years.

Dr. WEK, JR.
Tyler   Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:56 pm GMT
sweet
could u seen me some cool welsh words my email is micymraewytast@hotmail.com
Cymraeg   Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 am GMT
Welsh is really hard but it kicks some serious ass because it's basically a hidden language, not alot of people know it and it's hard for people to know what your saying.
todosmentira   Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:55 am GMT
<It's older than Greek and Albanian and Basque - as they are all modern languages just like Welsh is.>

Is it just me or does this make no sense?
Adam   Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
It's older than Greek, Albania and Basque, as they are all modern languages.

But it's NOT older than ANCIENT Greek and Latin, which are both DEAD.

Welsh is the oldest surving language in Europe.