English and Gender(s)

Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:53 pm GMT
"Je trouve que l'expression "genre naturel" ("natural gender" en anglais) n'a aucun sens. Il y a un mot plus précis pour ça : "sexe" ("sex" en anglais). Le genre est forcément grammatical. "

Why can't you speak in English? The French always do that.

The Welsh are the same.
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:57 pm GMT
""Je trouve que l'expression "genre naturel" ("natural gender" en anglais) n'a aucun sens. Il y a un mot plus précis pour ça : "sexe" ("sex" en anglais). Le genre est forcément grammatical. "

Você fala sempre o francês mesmo que mal qualquer um aqui possa compreender o que você está dizendo. Vamos ver como você gosta d quando eu lhe falo em uma língua que você não compreenda, e nós veremos quanto o irrita.

Meu Deus! Você está falando aos povos mais de quem não pode falar o francês. Isso é ignorant e você deve pará-lo.
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:00 pm GMT
Anyway, continue speaking in French. I have my translation machine now.

For anyone who doesn't speak French, this is what Greg said - "I find that the expression "kind natural" ("natural gender "in English) does not have any direction. There is a more precise word for that: "sex" ("English sex"). That kind is inevitably grammatical."
As Does American Meat   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:02 pm GMT
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:02 pm GMT
Greg also wrote this -

Pour info (NOTE POUR LA CENSURE : la langue française est souvent citée dans cette discussion), le français possède un système de 3 genres grammaticaux pour les substantifs : féminin, masculin, neutre faible (féminin OU masculin). En revanche le système de ***MARQUAGE*** des genres des substantifs est limité à 2 marqueurs : marqueur féminin et marqueur masculin. Exemples. Genre grammatical féminin (sexe féminin ou non-sexué)> marqueur féminin. Le marqueur peut être limité à l'article : <la maison> (opp. <le salon>). Possibilité de double marquage (article + terminaison) : <la maisonnette> (<le *..........ette> est impossible, à ma connaissance). Genre grammatical masculin (sexe masculin ou non-sexué) > marqueur masculin. Le marqueur peut être limité à l'article : <le serment> (opp. <la dent>). Possibilité de double marquage (article + terminaison) : <le milliard> (<la *..........ard> est impossible, à ma connaissance). Genre grammatical neutre faible (sexué MAIS sexe indéterminé OU pluralité des sexes) > marqueur féminin ou marqueur masculin. 1/ Marqueur féminin. Le marqueur peut être limité à l'article : <la troupe> (opp. <le groupe>). Possibilité de double marquage (article + terminaison) : <la sentinelle> (<le *..........elle> est impossible, à ma connaissance). 2/ Marqueur masculin. Le marqueur peut être limité à l'article : <un écrivain> (opp. <une putain>, désolé, c'est le seul que j'ai trouvé...). Possibilité de double marquage (article + terminaison) : <le syndic> (<la *..........ic> est impossible, à ma connaissance). Le genre grammatical neutre faible avec marqueur masculin s'appelle ***MASCULIN GÉNÉRIQUE*** en français. Phrase délicate comportant du masculin générique : « Blessé dans un accident de voiture où il vient de perdre son père, un enfant doit subir une opération chirurgicale d'importance. Aux urgences, LE médecin déclare qu'il ne peut l'opérer parce que c'est son fils. » Question: pourquoi LE médecin peut-il dire cela ? Réponse: parce qu'IL (LE médecin) est la mère de l'enfant. Remarque. Le français possède un 4e genre grammatical pour 3 mots seulement : le neutre fort (inanimé, DONC non-sexué, NI masculin NI féminin). Le marqueur du neutre fort est le masculin quand le mot est au singulier. Quand le mot est au pluriel, le neutre fort est marqué par le pluriel. <Un amour maternel> vs <mes premiÈrEs amours>. <Un vrai délice> vs <les délices exaltantEs>. <Un orgue centenaire> vs <les grandes orgues>. NB : la règle d'alternance masc. sg. / fém. pl. pour les 3 neutres forts est en fait plus compliquée que ça, mais la détailler prendrait du temps...

-----------------------------------------

TRANSLATION

For information (NOTE FOR the CENSURE: the French language is often quoted in this discussion), French has a system of 3 grammatical kinds for the substantives: female, male, neutral weak (female OR male). On the other hand the system of *** MARKING *** of the kinds of the substantives is limited to 2 markers: female marker and male marker. Examples. Female grammatical kind (female or non-sexué sex) > female marker. The marker can be limited to the article: < the house > (opp. < the show >). Possibility of double marking (article + termination): < the maisonnette > (< it *......... ette > is impossible, to my knowledge). Male grammatical kind (male or non-sexué sex) > male marker. The marker can be limited to the article: < the oath > (opp. < the tooth >). Possibility of double marking (article + termination): < the billion > (< it *......... ard > is impossible, to my knowledge). Weak neutral grammatical kind (sexué BUT unspecified sex OR plurality of the sexes) > female marker or male marker. 1 female Marker. The marker can be limited to the article: < the troop > (opp. < the group >). Possibility of double marking (article + termination): < the sentinel > (< it *......... elle > is impossible, to my knowledge). 2 male Marker. The marker can be limited to the article: < a writer > (opp. < a whore >, sorry, it is the only one which I found...). Possibility of double marking (article + termination): < the syndic > (< it *......... ic > is impossible, to my knowledge). The weak neutral grammatical kind with male marker is called *** MALE French CREDITS ***. Delicate sentence comprising of the generic masculine: "Wounded in a car accident where it has just lost his father, a child must undergo a surgical operation of importance. With the urgencies, the doctor declares that it cannot operate it because it is his/her son "Question: why the doctor can say that? Answer: because HE (the doctor) is the mother of the child. Notice. French only has one 4th grammatical kind for 3 words: the strong neutral (inanimate, THEREFORE non-sexué, NEITHER masculine NOR female). The marker of the strong neutral is the masculine when the word is in the singular. When the word is in the plural, the strong neutral is marked by plural. < a maternal love > vs < my first loves >. < a sheer delight > vs < the delights exaltantEs >. < an organ centenaire > vs < large organ >. NB: the rule of alternance masc. sg./fém. pl. for the 3 strong neutrals is in fact more complicated than that, but to detail it would take time...
greg   Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
Ils ont laissé Adam s'échapper de l'hôpital...
Sander   Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:47 am GMT
Adam,

Heb je die stok nou al uit je reet getrokken? Klereleijer?
Adam   Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:55 am GMT
"Ils ont laissé Adam s'échapper de l'hôpital... "

Translation

They let Adam escape from the hospital...
Adam   Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:58 am GMT
Heb je die stok nou al uit je reet getrokken? Klereleijer?

As close to a translation as I can get

Do you have that stick drawn already?
Sander   Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:04 am GMT
No, not really Adamm.

It's Have you pulled that stick out of your ass yet? Asshole?
Adam   Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:12 am GMT
Stil ben, weinig jongen, vóór uw moedermeppen u.
Sander   Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:15 am GMT
=>Stil ben, weinig jongen, vóór uw moedermeppen u. <=

I'll try to get as close as I can... (litt.)

Quiet are, few boy, before your (polite form) mother-smacking you (polite form).

Adamn, I have one word for you: LOL
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:24 pm GMT
If I was in the pub with my mates one night and by a millions to one chance ADAM came in by one door and, by a trillions to one chance SANDER wandered in through another, it would be really great to get the two guys to meet face to face and it would be my pleasure to buy them each a pint of Tennents. Then I would sit by, watch and see what happens next.

Believe me, it couldn't be more bizarre than some of the things I've seen at that pub! :-)

I'll think on about that when I'm down there tonight. Cheers guys!
Sander   Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:41 pm GMT
=>Then I would sit by, watch and see what happens next. <=

Oh don't Damian you'd be marked for the rest of your life. :-)
Damian in Scotland   Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:59 am GMT
I don't think so SANDER...no way....I reckon that after a second Tennents you two guys would be really good mates.....do wonders for Anglo/Dutch relations. :-)